ID my cockerel?

• 4 Replies

soapwitch

• Two Sheep Soapery
    • Instagram
ID my cockerel?
« on: April 27, 2021, 22:57 »
I was wondering if anyone could ID Cooper the cockerel for me?

I purchased him as young 'Copper Maran' but he’s nothing of the kind judging by internet breed photos.

I’m not very experienced in this breed & I've obviously been shafted. I’ve always had a interest in Brahmas & Poland’s.

Now he’s a feisty young fella. I have to arm myself with the broom when I enter the enclosure as he likes to fly at your legs like something possessed on crack cocaine :mad:

He has a few wives of the Cookoo & black variety.

Thank you.
1CEDCDA2-66C9-4192-973B-5EAEB22DB8F3.jpeg
2BF9FBF2-24E3-4FCA-8792-3C081E9513C0.jpeg
4EA261F9-C1A0-414E-BA5E-25D3D2BDB2C5.jpeg
Old account - wildwitchy.
Smallholder & Crafter in County Longford - Chickens, Ducks, Sheep, Goats.
Two Sheep Soapery.

perris

Re: ID my cockerel?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 06:24 »
I think he's a mix.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 11:04 »
I think he's a mix.

I think that is very possible.  I not sure what of though.

What a shame you did not get what you wanted.  Is there any chance the seller would take him back.  All cockerels have the potential to be aggressive, but flying at you and attacking you on sight is not ideal.  He will start to grow spurs and could do some damage.  The fact that he is aggressive and not what you wanted would make me question keeping him.  If you want to breed from him, he is not going to give you the results you wanted.

soapwitch

• Two Sheep Soapery
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 15:32 »
I think he's a mix.

I think that is very possible.  I not sure what of though.

What a shame you did not get what you wanted.  Is there any chance the seller would take him back.  All cockerels have the potential to be aggressive, but flying at you and attacking you on sight is not ideal.  He will start to grow spurs and could do some damage.  The fact that he is aggressive and not what you wanted would make me question keeping him.  If you want to breed from him, he is not going to give you the results you wanted.

I’ve had him over 12 months now. He was all black when I got him as a youngster so I thought he’d fluff out & change. Yes, I’m a bit disappointed as I wanted to hatch some French copper Marans & build them up a bit. Not be using that supplier again.
No, I’m not using him as a breeding cockerel for two reasons, his aggressiveness (which will be passed on) & he’s not the correct breed. The only plus thing so far, he seems to have dealt with any potential foxes! Not had one problem fox touch wood since I’ve had him. That’s his only one shining star  :lol: Other than that he’s living on borrowed time. I’ve trimmed his spurs down.
I’ve always had beautiful Brahma or Poland’s boys in the past, never had to deal with a aggressive cockerel. The worst my Brahmas/Poland chaps would get was doing the wing dance in front of me! They were bundles of cuddliness. I’ve been very spoilt having good tempered boys for many years. This one has the temperament of the devil on crack cocaine. :mad:

grinling

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 14:11 »
Has he moulted since you got him? My Scots dumpy changes her looks with a moult, so different coloured feathers in different place each year.
He has copper maran in him as  I had one like that. Might also be barnevelder.

question
Should i get a cockerel

Started by chicken george25 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 12, 2012, 08:30
by joyfull
xx
cockerel

Started by judrop on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2009, 11:54
by joyfull
xx
ill cockerel

Started by andyoak on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 07:54
by andyoak
xx
Cockerel Box

Started by trinamc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 08:58
by trinamc

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 41 queries.