Using own compost

• 10 Replies

jaws

Using own compost
« on: December 02, 2009, 23:16 »
I have a few plastic compost bins and when it is well rotted down I riddle the compost, bag it  and put any larger bits into the current compost bin to continue composting.

I have some fruit trees to plant and it recommends well rotted manure in the base of the hole. i do not have any rotted manure at the moment - would my compost be OK instead?

I have noticed if I have used my own compost instead of a propriatory brand in pots and planters my plants have not do well - why is this?
Thanks

gillie

Re: Using own compost
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 07:51 »
There are two uses of the word 'compost'.

One is for the stuff that comes out of your bin and yes, this would be fine for planting your trees because it will get mixed with soil.

The other is 'potting compost', which will be a carefully balanced and hopefully sterilised mix of ingredients to encourage healthy growth, so it will do better than the haphazard mix that comes from a home bin.

Cheers,

Gillie

Clover

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:06 »
Jaws - perhaps it's not a good idea to bag it.  I don't know how long you're keeping it like that or whether it's in something air tight, but you may be killing off the positive bacteria and fungi doing that.

My outside experience is that home-made compost is way superior to shop bought in terms of results, but I admit I don't know much about pot plants and why they would need sterilised stuff.

noshed

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:22 »
You are a composting saint for riddling it all. I must admit I spread mine on my beds as soon as it is ready - all over in the winter and as a mulch around brassicas, fruit etc in the summer.
I use bagged multipurpose for everything else and it seems fine. The home made stuff may be too rich/not rich enough for seeds and small plants. I sometimes use old grow bag compost again, adding a bit of blood,fish and bone and sand - that seems OK for seed sowing. But really the multipurpose we get in our lotty shop is fine.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

gillie

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 10:26 »
"why they would need sterilised stuff"

Among other reasons to kill off any weed seeds.  Otherwise they will germinate and compete with your sown seeds - or worse still, you will carefully cultivate a pot full of weeds by accident!

Cheers,

Gillie

MoreWhisky

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:13 »
Noshed, u say u spread yours as soon as its ready. Ive got  2 bins full ready now  was going to spread it few weeks before i plant anything in spring.

Is it best to spread it now then?

Cheers MW.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

crh75

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:18 »
If you spread the compost now it will protect the soil from winter rain and encorage earthworms.  You just give it a quick dig over in spring and you're ready to plant.

noshed

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 14:39 »
Yes, I would do it now, in between the monsoons. It's amazing how fast it gets incorporated by the worms etc.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 15:05 »
Mostly agree with all the advice; you would have to be an exceptionally careful composter to keep all weed seeds out of your compost (and not just weeds; tomato and squash seeds germinate brilliantly after normal garden composting!).

If you have very light, sandy soil like mine I would leave spreading the compost until spring because it really does get washed through very quickly.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 17:01 »
JayG you are so right about thois tomato seeds  :tongue2: :tongue2:  They can come up like a forest.. I have a clump in the greenhouse at the moment  ???

Compost bin contents spread now make a good blanket for winter for the soil IMHO and I have emptied one and a half bins, half to go. (The other one s not ready ;) )

Great stuff to put in when you plant something perennial too  :happy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 19:57 »
I have some fruit trees to plant and it recommends well rotted manure in the base of the hole.

You don't have to rot your own manure.  You can buy bags of farmyard manure at any garden centre including  Homebase and B&Q (although it might not be so widely available now as it is in spring and summer).  This is the stuff they mean on the label.  I am a big garden compost fan but you can't beat a spadeful of this bagged stuff in the hole when you are planting shrubs and trees. 

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 37 queries.