feeding my veg

• 8 Replies

Denny

feeding my veg
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:55 »
Hi All, excuse my ignorance as this is all new to me and very confusing, I have been trying to find a guide list of feeds for all vegtables grown and the times when you feed them. am I on a no hope mission or is the one somewhere, I need really basic terms and not all this percentage stuff as it is really confusing,  Can any body help - Regards Denny

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: feeding my veg
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:15 »
Minefield !!!!!

Get your hard hat on coz your gonna get loads of answers.

For me...

I suggest you go to Johns growing page and look up the veg you are growing, he gives very detailed info....
http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/vegetables
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 14:01 »
I just give everything a handul per sq m of Blood Fish & Bone every 6 to 8 weeks.
Sometimes, specially for cabbages I use chicken manure pellets instead.

It doesn't have to be rocket science  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 14:32 »
Depends largely on your soil type, but also to some extent whether you previously added manure, what you are growing, and even the weather.

My soil is sandy, so nutrients leach out easily, and crops are poor (found out the hard way!) without a feed of a fairly balanced fertiliser both before and during growth (sometimes more than once for long-season crops like parsnips.)

Heavy soils are more nutrient-retentive, so if manured you may not need any additional fertiliser, although a sprinkling every now and then does no harm, as Mum suggested (although FBB is out for me as it's a fox-magnet!)  :nowink:

Don't think you need to go into it more deeply than that.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 14:38 »
I've been watching a few Bunty's Blog videos lately, and she seems to use an awful lot of lime for everything except plants that like acid soil. I've always thought you only needed lime if you needed to correct a ph imbalance and I've only ever used a tiny bit when planting out brassicas. Is there a real nutritional benefit of using it more?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 14:50 »
I've been watching a few Bunty's Blog videos lately, and she seems to use an awful lot of lime for everything except plants that like acid soil. I've always thought you only needed lime if you needed to correct a ph imbalance and I've only ever used a tiny bit when planting out brassicas. Is there a real nutritional benefit of using it more?

It is said to free up locked nutrients in the soil and make the ground sweet.

I use it in the winter as a covering over the brassica bed then when planting I dig a hole, line it with lime then use fresh compost for the brassica's as I have club root, this enable the brassicas to get a good root ball.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 15:22 »
I'll give that a try this year then. The big bed where I stick the brassicas is still a work in progress as regards soil quality, so anything that might help it is worth a try. Do I remember hearing that lime shouldn't be put down at the same time as manure?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 16:18 »
The main reason for not liming and manuring at the same time is that it the two react causing the release of ammonia, which being a gas is lost to the atmosphere, thereby losing some of your precious nitrogen.

The loss would be greatest if you spread manure on the soil, sprinkled lime on top and then just left it - however, if dug in the released ammonia dissolves in the soil water and will be converted back into nitrates and hence not lost.

Just digging either of them into the soil first would work nearly as well.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 16:32 »
Thanks, Jay, I'll give that a try.

xx
feeding

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 09:32
by Kristen
xx
What should I be feeding now?

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2007, 15:27
by jackiestagg
xx
feeding

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 16:54
by JayG
xx
Feeding

Started by sparky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 17:24
by gobs

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 38 queries.