sick Wellsummer

• 20 Replies

redlab

sick Wellsummer
« on: May 24, 2007, 15:18 »
Hi there, I'm new to this site as i've been trawling the internet looking for advice and decided to register.
I have 3 Wellsummers and one has been ill for approx. 2 weeks, she has lost the use of her legs for the last 4/5 days now, also her poo is a mix of dark green, yellow, white, and its sloppy.
I have seperated her from the other 2 as she was getting bullied with her being ill.
She is eating but not as much as a healthy bird and has lost a little weight.
Her face and cone are red and look fine, she does not look to be in any pain (not hunched up or showing the whites of her eyes), but her tail is pointing downwards occasionaly, her eyes look normal, no singns of mareks.
Her crop seems fine, no blockages and she is not egg bound.
I will be trying her with some apple cider vinigar tomorrow as it's recomended a lot on here.
All three hens were wormed 3 weeks ago.
All replies greatly received.

Many thanks.

Steve.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
sick Wellsummer
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 17:02 »
silly question. if she's been poorly for two weeks or legless for 5 days.... wheres the vet?

no animal should be left that long before getting help

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
sick Wellsummer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 18:44 »
Newcastle Disease can cause paralysis.  But your hens symptoms are not strictly classical as she is breathing OK.  You should consult a vet just incase, Newcastle Disease is notifiable.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
sick Wellsummer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 20:27 »
Quote from: "happyvalley"
silly question. if she's been poorly for two weeks or legless for 5 days.... wheres the vet?

no animal should be left that long before getting help

If you live in some parts, you try finding a vet who will look at one! I even tried the PDSA and they didn't wanna know.

Hello Steve and welcome to the forum.  :D  good luck with your hen, sorry I can't be of help on this one.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
sick Wellsummer
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 21:11 »
have you tried an equine vet.

they have usually trained in all farm aspects, and will be in the yellow pages.

duck (thats her name, she is still a chook) woke up poorly the day i was having my yearling castrated last month.
so i took her with me and my vet sorted her out in the back of my jeep and gave her an antibiotic injection there and then, while my ponies bits were being numbed.

he even cares for my cat. but yes i agree a domestic house pet vet generally wont be able to help.

please dont think im being rude, but surely no one should take on any animal if you have not first checked that there is adequate health care available should it be needed. this is just my opinion and hope that i havent offended anyone by voicing it.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
sick Wellsummer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 21:16 »
I'm sure you have offended no one happyvally.

It is in fact illegal to allow ANY animal to suffer unduly.  If an animal is suffering it must be treated or dispatched

babe

• elvis king of chooks
sick Wellsummer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 21:28 »
thank you aunt sally.

redlab

sick Wellsummer
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 22:08 »
Thanks for looking, and some of the constructive replies. I'm going to try the apple cider vinigar tomorrow but she seems to be responding to Carr's entracare which is a natural herbal liquid used by my father who breeds rabbits, it is used to maintain a healthy gut and improve condition.
She has taken a few steps tonight before she was locked up for the night though I'll have to keep an eye on her stools to see if they improve.

As for the vets, last time I attended my hen had 2 injections and ended up dying a few days later anyway.

I am trying to, A) find out what the problem is and B) cure the problem, believe me, if I thought she was suffering and in any pain she would be terminated.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
sick Wellsummer
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 22:20 »
You sound as if you care for the welfare of you hens, and I know you want to do your best for them  :!:

There are two schools of thought with hen keepers.  If they are kept to produce eggs then they are an echonomic consideration.  If the hen is "broken" cull and replace, "no sentiment" as one of our members (muntjac) would say.  But if they are kept as pets then you "do whatever you can for their wealfare" as Aunty would say  :roll:   My hens are pets and I would do for them whatever dog or cat owners would do for their pets.

Do let us know how she gets on.   :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
sick Wellsummer
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 22:25 »
Like aunt sally says Happyvalley I'm sure you're havent offended anyone.

As for an equine vet no I had never thought of that always worth a try.

Depends I suppose on your outlook is a £3.50 hen worth £15 or so vets bill, in my book no I would despatch it. Hen keeping for me is for eggs in my house we carry no passengers Muntjac school of thought  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
sick Wellsummer
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 22:29 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"

Depends I suppose on your outlook is a £3.50 hen worth £15 or so vets bill, in my book no I would despatch it. Hen keeping for me is for eggs in my house we carry no passengers Muntjac school of thought  :wink:
Exactly what I said a post or so up Richy and I respect your views.  For you they are working girls.   For me though they are my pets  :D  Ask a dog owner where they would draw the line on vets bills  :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
sick Wellsummer
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 22:34 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

Exactly what I said a post or so up Richy and I respect your views.  For you they are working girls.   For me though they are my pets  :D

That's right Aunt Sally I always think how lucky yours are. But each to our own as they say. BTW I found someone who has loads of hens and has told me if I don't want to "do the deed" on mine they will quite happily take mine to run round with the rest of theirs. So mine now perhaps have retirement to look forward to  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
sick Wellsummer
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 22:38 »
That is wonderful news Richy

You deserve a big

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
sick Wellsummer
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 22:41 »
:oops:  :lol:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
sick Wellsummer
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 22:44 »
hi richy, i can see where you are coming from, but like aunt sally. all my animals are pets. and i treat each one with the same care from a chook to my horse.

i could never dispatch one, thats the vets job and yes i would pay for the vet to do it for my chooks if or when the need arises.

but they are not my livelyhood, so it is a totally different situation. and its nice that we can all see each others ways.

sad
A gagging Wellsummer Bantam Hen

Started by Budboy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 06:39
by Asherweef
xx
Wellsummer hen attacking bantam

Started by Beano on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 31, 2022, 09:03
by New shoot
xx
Sick hen

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 18:41
by North Devon Dumpling
xx
I think my hen is sick

Started by Cat on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 05:33
by Cat

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 35 queries.