What I did on the plot today 2021

• 113 Replies

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
Re: What I did on the plot today 2021
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2021, 15:32 »
Spent Friday, Sat and Sun replacing the decking at home. And yesterday started recycling the old decking to edge all my beds, must say even using 15 year old decking blanks it still smartened up the allotment.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2021, 10:07 »
I started construction on 3 new raised beds, using planter blocks and 2×4 lumber. Posted pictures of the blocks under Design and Construction. I'm doing a little work on them each evening, should be able to finish construction on Saturday.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2021, 15:21 »
A busy weekend, especially that due to Covid and then long Covid I hadn’t been near the plots since November

That sounds pretty horrible, but good to hear you have recovered.

You certainly did have a busy weekend. Back to work with a vengeance by the sound of it  :)

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2021, 15:24 »
Yep Enfield Glen, used my old decking to edge the path down the plot, then filled in with wood chippings. Wasn't going to bother with the chippings as they tend to get everywhere, but I slipped on the path a few times narrowly escaping breaking some bone or other, as the path is across a sloping plot and is slippy in the wet ! Anyway looks tidy now  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2021, 19:22 »
This  :lol: :lol: :lol:
48486AFA-754B-4CF6-9FA6-7DBBD46B58E3.jpeg
E2A1EE05-F8A3-434B-8B89-450B9F815608.jpeg
D4980EB4-690D-4B91-AE96-E556F3324BC5.jpeg
7270C1B0-D33B-46A5-BCCF-85F76B289240.jpeg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2021, 02:35 »
I got about half way though construction of my three new raised beds before sunset today.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:42 by Subversive_plot »

Lardman

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2021, 07:30 »
That's right posh that is Snow...  Nice. Plenty of space by the looks, how big?

I pruned some of the apples - It's really late but - meh.  I need to stake some and pull them back up over the season they're looking like they've had one too many after a few years of neglect.  Some of the framework support posts also need to be replaced  :(
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 07:34 by Lardman »

snowdrops

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2021, 16:35 »
That's right posh that is Snow...  Nice. Plenty of space by the looks, how big?

I pruned some of the apples - It's really late but - meh.  I need to stake some and pull them back up over the season they're looking like they've had one too many after a few years of neglect.  Some of the framework support posts also need to be replaced  :(

Thanks Lardman, it’s 14ftx 25ft  :) so should be room for a bit of everything I hope plus some things I’ve not grown before like a peach & apricot

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2021, 06:26 »
Continued work building raised beds. Of the 3 beds, one is complete, one has 1 wall remaining, the last has 2 walls remaining. :D

We are expecting rain for the next 2 days, we'll see what kind of luck we have with the weather, but I hope I can complete the beds over the next day or two.

Lardman

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2021, 10:01 »
plus some things I’ve not grown before like a peach & apricot
Don't forget your grapes and I have an utterly hopeless fig in the top GH here  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2021, 12:12 »
plus some things I’ve not grown before like a peach & apricot
Don't forget your grapes and I have an utterly hopeless fig in the top GH here  ;)

Yes I’m thinking about grapes & ive taken loads of cuttings of my outdoor pot planted fig tree, that I only get about 2 ripe figs from (brown turkey) & if they take 9/11 did a few years ago, I’m thinking of planting 1 of those in there.
Is yours in the ground? If so did you restrict the roots at all? As they say they should be planted in a Gladstone bag don’t they or a slab lined hole? I’ve got lots of slabs.
What about the peach & apricot, do you think straight in the ground,pot or bottomless pot? Any views on varieties?
I asked Christine Walkden on a zoom meeting the other week & she suggested Peregrine for the peach & any of the Tomcot range for the apricot. But the Peregrine can make a very large tree! I’m thinking tree rather than espalier, any views?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2021, 08:31 »
I completed construction of my three new raised beds on Friday.  See photos at https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=134588.0
Next, I need to get them filled with compost and get some plants in!

On my forest-edge beds that I grew tomatoes in last year, the snow peas and sugar snap peas are as tall as I am, blooming well, and I should be picking peas in a day or two.

I'm still picking plenty of spinach, lettuce, radishes, scallions.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:28 by Subversive_plot »

Lardman

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2021, 08:15 »
My fig (brown turkey) is straight in the ground at the gable end, roots inside. No restriction needed as the soil is so poor up there, If you have proper soil  ::) it's worth checking the roots otherwise you'll just end up with growth and no fruit.  I'd go with a BIG planting hole and slabs rather than a woven bag. Don't forget to tip out early to encourage fruiting.

Stoned fruit isn't my wheel-house unless you included killing them  :lol: even in the poly you might be struggling without the radiator effect of a back wall to grow against. The tomcot and peregrine appear to be your best bet, I looked a few years back but decided the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze so to speak. I have enough fickle fruiters.

snowdrops

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2021, 19:37 »
Thanks Lards, could you just explain the term “tip out” as I’ve not come across that before?

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2021, 21:59 »
Potted on some chili, tomato & okra plants. Was quite unsure about the okra, and if to push ahead with growing them. Looked at many sources and comments, and figured I'll go against the grain. They look beautiful to me, both in terms of proportion and fruit growth (I know they're veg' but what do you say). Plus, the flowers look gorgeous. Not my problem if you don't know how to cook.

Also dug out what seemed like half the foundation of a brick out-house. Right where I'm trying to erect a decent trellis area. Only 45 and it might have broke me, if it wasn't for the robins - and even a wagtail - getting very annoyed that I was infringing on their good times!  :dry:

xx
Are you already planning your 2021 vegetable plot?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 11, 2020, 08:56
by basketcase
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 55 queries.