Which Paraffin heater

• 6 Replies

hubballi

Which Paraffin heater
« on: January 07, 2012, 19:32 »
I have a small 6 x 4 poly carbonate lean-to greenhouse which I have bubble wrapped inside. As we have hardly had any frosts this Winter it has stayed over 10-15 degrees without a heater. I have been looking at the small paraffin heaters as they seem to last a long time on a tank full.

I will be sewing the usual peas, b beans, salad etc. The question is, will a heater give me a head start and if so, which one is best for this size ?

Thanks.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Which Paraffin heater
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 19:49 »
TBH if the temp inside is that high, you would not really need any form of heating for sowing the seeds you said, in a few weeks' time

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

hubballi

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 21:02 »
But wouldn't it give you a head start with other things like toms etc ?

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:03 »
I bought what I believed to be a quality well known brand of paraffin greenhouse heater, it turned out to be a oriental made cooking stove according to the pidgin english instruction book,whilst it worked well for a while, once it started being troublesome much to my ire I found that the only spare parts available from the importer/supplier were wicks.  :mad: .
So if thinking about one made by a company begining with P check the spares situation.
That said I bought a second hand Eltex double burner greenhouse heater for £4 and have found it reliable and spares available should the need arise, have also found it to be more economical than the oriental jobby.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 16:10 »
I find it hard to get parrafin for the heater and weed burner and wish I went for gas for both. I think a bit of warmth is Ok to get a head start but you have to keep it up until its realy warm or the plants seem to go slow and stop growing for a while. May be even fall behind later plantings
always have a target
and an objective.

allot2learn

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 19:48 »
I find it hard to get parrafin for the heater

Been and Queued  stock paraffin........... but it's around £7 for a 4Ltr bottle.  :nowink:

AndyRVTR

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 19:53 »
I switched from parrafin to electric mainly because of easy access to electric points, but when I used to buy my parrafin, it was either via a local allotment society that bought it in bulk which made it a lot cheaper, or if they had none I used to go to a local oil depot, who always had tanks full of the stuff, still way cheaper than B&Q though  :)
Check Yell for oil suppliers and make a few calls, I'm sure they will be able to help you..

xx
Can I use a paraffin heater?

Started by Shandy on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 20:14
by HuwG
xx
Aladdin paraffin Heater

Started by devonjem on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post January 15, 2014, 15:01
by mumofstig
xx
paraffin

Started by ukpaul28 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 03, 2007, 09:17
by ukpaul28
xx
Paraffin

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 22:17
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 33 queries.