Which shed base??

• 14 Replies

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
Which shed base??
« on: January 27, 2007, 18:03 »
What are some of the most straight forward type of bases to use when putting a shed up??   I'm looking about for a decent second hand one at the minute, I want a bigish one, 10x6 size maybe, and some people say you need a proper concrete base, some people say use paving slabs after leveling the ground and concrete inbetween, & some people say just a few treated timbers directly onto the ground then the base straight onto that will do.  Personaly was just gonna level the ground then put down the paving stones without farting about with any concrete, but maybe put a sheet of polythene underneath for the dampness.  Do you think that should be sufficient??  Any other good tips for building sheds would be appreciated aswell.

Cheers.

milkman

Which shed base??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 18:34 »
I put mine (7ft x 7ft) onto a frame of treated timbers (something like 3 by 4) secured to ground at the corners with the metal fence post stake thingys which I think are called metposts.  it's still standing after the recent tropical storms...
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
Which shed base??
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 18:37 »
I have just stuck mine on some fence posts, works a treat for me plus when i moved house i could take them with me  :D

muntjac

Which shed base??
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 19:59 »
whatever you choose mate try and make it so u can stick rat bait holders under it
still alive /............

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
Which shed base??
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 20:13 »
Think I'm just gonna put down a few flag stones then a few timbers accross the top.  Gonna try to level the ground tomorrow in the area where it's going.  Time to start looking in the local ad paper and online for bargain sheds!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Which shed base??
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 20:35 »
Before you buy one infowarrior put a want on your local freecycle website, you would be surprised what goes on on them, in the last three weeks I have seen cars, sheds and a least 2 greenhouses on ours.
If your not a member then their addie is www.freecycle.org then find your local one or two  :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
Which shed base??
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 20:51 »
I picked up a nice freecycle greenhouse this afternoon  :D

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
Which shed base??
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 22:14 »
I had never heard of freecycle before, what is it??  I've just signed up and I've got to wait for the moderator to verify my account.  Is it like a swap thing or what??

muntjac

Which shed base??
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 22:25 »
loads folks put stuff up thee dont want mate you send email saying ya want it , they accept and you go fecth it . nice if ya got something u dont want to get rid of as well

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
Which shed base??
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 22:48 »
As muntjac says but you also can ask for stuff as well which is how i got the greenhouse. There are also other sites which work in a similar way to freecycle.
I should also mention you join your local freecycle group so there is not lots of travel involved.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Which shed base??
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 22:58 »
Thats right you can ask = post a want you could also try http://www.recycle.co.uk/ you can see stuff all around the country on that one.

noshed

Which shed base??
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 16:01 »
Milkman - how did you fix the base to the metposts? I'm thinking of using 4 fence posts for the base of my reconstructed greenhouse and I'm just working out how to anchor them to the ground - I'm not madly keen on cementing them into a trench because my plot is miles from the path and its a long way to hump sand and cement.
I thought if I got a good sturdy wooden square flat on the ground, I could screw the rest of the edifice to it.
Incidentally, my 6x4 shed is on cheap paving slabs straight on the ground, with the shed floor sitting on 4 bits of treated wood.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

milkman

Which shed base??
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 16:48 »
i think we stuck a stumpy section of fence post into each metpost, screwed through the hole to hold it in place, leaving just enough fence post standing proud to then bolt/screw the wooden frame to that.  

i'm not very good at diagrams but the metposts are at the four inside corners of the wooden frame, and the wooden frame is at soil level.

the greenhouse or shed is then screwed to the wooden frame to hold it in place.  and OH was careful to get the frame absolutely level with his spirit level.

ps. the wooden frame is simply a rectangle of 3"x4" treated timber made to fit the greenhouse frame, screwed together with nice right angles at each corner.

miker

Which shed base??
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 19:29 »
Quote from: "milkman"
i think we stuck a stumpy section of fence post into each metpost, screwed through the hole to hold it in place, leaving just enough fence post standing proud to then bolt/screw the wooden frame to that.  

i'm not very good at diagrams but the metposts are at the four inside corners of the wooden frame, and the wooden frame is at soil level.

the greenhouse or shed is then screwed to the wooden frame to hold it in place.  and OH was careful to get the frame absolutely level with his spirit level.

ps. the wooden frame is simply a rectangle of 3"x4" treated timber made to fit the greenhouse frame, screwed together with nice right angles at each corner.

Does that mean the top of the metpost socket is level with the ground so that the wooden frame is resting on the ground ?

noshed

Which shed base??
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 22:52 »
That's what I'm planning.

question
Shed Base

Started by South Downs Wayer on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 23:48
by Larkshall
xx
shed base

Started by flowergirl on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 09:44
by shaun
xx
shed base

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2007, 15:40
by bikerjohn
xx
What treatment to put on a shed base.

Started by JohnB47 on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post October 11, 2011, 14:32
by stompy

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 36 queries.