which fork to buy

• 9 Replies

toodoo9011

which fork to buy
« on: August 15, 2016, 07:25 »
hi everyone im new and just accuired a plot with 4  x 7ft trees which fork should i buy?thanks

snow white

Re: which fork to buy
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 07:48 »
Its a bit like how long is a piece of string. :nowink:
It depends on your height, your strength and your budget.
I use a small fork as I am a little middle aged woman and a huge fork is too heavy for me.  Mine has a short wooden handle as wood is lighter and I am short!
Do you see where this is going?

toodoo9011

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:01 »
Its a bit like how long is a piece of string. :nowink:
It depends on your height, your strength and your budget.
I use a small fork as I am a little middle aged woman and a huge fork is too heavy for me.  Mine has a short wooden handle as wood is lighter and I am short!
Do you see where this is going?

Yes I see where this is going to end up

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 19:27 »
I'm a petite lady and therefore use a border fork and spade.  They have shorter handles and also it's easier to move them when fully laden (think of the extra weight of mud you could load onto a full-sized tool).

Some people who are taller or have back problems swear by long handled tools.

Once you've decided your preference, try some out in your hand.  I'd avoid the cheapest ones as in my experience they are not worth their money - they bend quickly.

If also getting a spade, get one with a 'lip' on the top of the blade where you press down with your foot.  It makes it more comfortable on your foot.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 22:10 »
I'm a petite lady and therefore use a border fork and spade. 

As an extremely large bloke I also use a border fork and spade  :D

I've found using anything bigger encourages overloading and the cheaper / mid-range tools just snap. If I was spending someone else's money Id look at at the bulldog range but if you're leaving it at the plot it may well be the first thing to go 'missing'.

jezza

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 22:53 »
hi just a suggestion try them for height rest the tines on the ground place hands on top and rest your chin on top to see whether its comfortable ideal for watching the world go by unless you want to use it for digging then spear and jackson and bulldog do some good ones  jezza

toodoo9011

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 19:14 »
I'm a petite lady and therefore use a border fork and spade. 

As an extremely large bloke I also use a border fork and spade  :D

I've found using anything bigger encourages overloading and the cheaper / mid-range tools just snap. If I was spending someone else's money Id look at at the bulldog range but if you're leaving it at the plot it may well be the first thing to go 'missing'.

hi mate apparently im going to inherent a small shed so wanna keep and my expensive spear and jackson  tools in there with a lock on it.I heard spear and jackson neever bend PROFESSIONAL is best for allotments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 22:02 »
You will hear quite a few sad stories on here of people whose shed locks have been broken and tools stolen.

I always tell new allotmenteers that if they can't afford, or don't want (e.g. sentimental reasons) to have to replace tools, they shouldn't leave them down the plot.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 08:52 »
Yesterday at our local wyevale they had wilkinson sword stainless steel forks & spades half price, border & full size£25 each
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 16:21 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snow white

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 15:49 »
Ours is broken into several times a year.  I keep reminding people not to leave expensive tools in their shed, but they still get upset when their tools are stolen, especially ones with sentimental value.  I advised them to chain them all together in one big tangle and secure to the shed floor.  Some do.  Many don't

xx
New fork

Started by Plot94 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 21, 2019, 19:13
by jezza
xx
Fork

Started by Flump on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post November 19, 2012, 16:16
by arugula
xx
fork tines

Started by 2peasinapod on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 21:47
by 2peasinapod
xx
new spade,new fork

Started by buba on Equipment Shed

31 Replies
Last post November 14, 2008, 20:56
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 38 queries.