Rhubarb leaves gone

• 29 Replies

hubballi

Rhubarb leaves gone
« on: December 04, 2009, 09:25 »
I planted my Rhubarb out about a month ago and watered it well but very quickly the leaves withered and now there is no trace of it. Is there still hope ?

mikem

• Experienced Member
Re: Rhubarb leaves gone
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 09:33 »
Yes, rhubarb leaves die off in winter.  Perhaps put some compost over the root and it should be OK come the spring.  :)

tode

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 09:38 »
It's also a good idea to put a small stake just beside the crown, so you won't dig it up or damage the shoots in Spring.   ;)

peterjf

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 11:42 »
cover the rhubarb site with a good 6 inches of manure , itll come back no probs

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 13:40 »
cover the rhubarb site with a good 6 inches of manure , itll come back no probs

..........and in a couple of years time even if you try to dig it out you'll most probably end up with a rhubarb plant coming up in the same spot again - tough as old houses once they are established!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

hubballi

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 13:40 »
What about garden compost, will that be okay instead of manure  ?

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 14:15 »
What about garden compost, will that be okay instead of manure  ?

perfeck..... ;)

Babstreefern

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 19:06 »
I'm on the allotment tomorrow, and one of my jobs is to put compost on my rhubarb.  I've also to put manure/compost on my asparagus plots, pull the tough grass out that's between the blackberry bushes, put in my three hydranger bushes and last, but not least, plant my garlic.  Then that's it for the allotment.  My next job is then to go through my seed packets and put reminders in my calendar for sowing.
Babs

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 20:18 »
I'm letting my rhubarb get on with it.... the clump I dug up (?) last year reappeared twice the size and the three new plants grown from seed were huge. The leaves were gradually turning brown and flopping but, despite pulling a fair few off, there were still masses of them last week-end.

Considering the size of the plants / the space they occupy and the small amount that we actually eat I may have another go at persuading a couple of plants they are not needed.

I had heard that digging up a crown and leaving it to the frost actually promoted growth the following year once replanted... I don't think I will experiment!  ::)

Babstreefern

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 22:31 »
That's correct Learner ;).  Dig up a crown and just leave to one side and let the weather have a got at it :happy:, then plant it in January and up she comes 8).  I just wish all my veggies would grow like them :unsure:, I wouldn't have to bother with them, only harvest when ready 8)

gizooty

• howdy....
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 22:55 »
ooo i cant WAIT to get some... i LOVE it...
so tasty.. and ill eat as much as i can grow... so no waste.. heheh..

ill keep an eye on this... make sure WHEN i get some,, i do it reet...
7 dogs, 4cats, 4hens,2bunnies,1pony and a parrot... AND half a plot.. hehe i think I HAVE LOST the plot..

MoreWhisky

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 22:58 »
That's correct Learner ;).  Dig up a crown and just leave to one side and let the weather have a got at it :happy:, then plant it in January and up she comes 8).  I just wish all my veggies would grow like them :unsure:, I wouldn't have to bother with them, only harvest when ready 8)

LOl ive just chucked some compost on mine today then i read this. Is this digging them up a comon practise ?

I dont think i brave enough to experiment with this to.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Babstreefern

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 23:17 »
Believe me, rhubarb is like a weed >:(.  You can't kill it :tongue2:.  Actually, if you want to move your rhubarb, now is the time to do it.  YOU WILL NOT KILL IT :)  Now then, repeat after me "I CANNOT KILL IT" :D.

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 15:09 »
Believe me, rhubarb is like a weed >:(.  You can't kill it :tongue2:.  Actually, if you want to move your rhubarb, now is the time to do it.  YOU WILL NOT KILL IT :)  Now then, repeat after me "I CANNOT KILL IT" :D.

How very true.... one tiny bit left in the ground (or on it) and you have another wonderful plant romping away in the Spring. Heaven knows why it is so dear to buy a rooted plant!  :blink:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 16:19 »
I reckon rhubard is on the list for what survives after total disaster like ants and cockroaches.

I found a manky old crown of rhubarb on my OH's overgrown plot when he took it over. I dug it up and salvaged 3 small pieces of half decent stuff to replant. The 3 crowns are over 1m width each now and it's turbo rhubarb.  It puts new leaves out in January every year and is at least 1 month ahead of anything else on the site. Last year it was up when all the snow came, shrugged that off and still grew like triffids. Half the site have picking rights just to try and keep it under control  :ohmy:

xx
Rhubarb leaves

Started by DonnaM on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 10:20
by noshed
xx
rhubarb leaves

Started by oldtimer on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 20:17
by David.
xx
Rhubarb leaves

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 19:42
by pistonbroke
xx
A use for rhubarb leaves?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 09:55
by Goldfinger

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 36 queries.