I was surprised to say the least...

• 5 Replies

Lacocklady

I was surprised to say the least...
« on: September 24, 2010, 01:27 »
On Sunday afternoon I heard the hens squabling in the garden <they roam free>, so I looked out to see what the fuss was about and was surprised to see that one of the Marans had killed and was eating a slow worm. I am not disturbed that it happened, because I know it's all part of the food chain, I was just not aware that it was something that they would do  ??? I have to say, it was no small slow worm either and she managed to eat it all too  :wacko:
Has anyone else witnessed anything similar at all?

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
Re: I was surprised to say the least...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 07:12 »
Mine have had a large frog, poore thing, by the time i got outside to se what all the noise was about they had just about torn it apart. They ate it all as wel.

Junie

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:49 »
One of mine caught a shrew, damaged it a little then let it go by accident, watching 5 chickens squarking and chasing after it was hilarious, the original bird recaught her prize and had to run  away from the others to keep it to herself, no one was going to get near it!

Chablis Dog

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 11:30 »
I actually allow my hens to roam around a area which might otherwise be attractive to snakes as snakes hate hens.  They will also eat mice and other small rodents.

evie2

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 16:26 »
Shame about the slow worm, your lucky to have them in your garden, or not, as you say, all part of the food chain :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Lacocklady

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 14:43 »
Well I never realised any of this, thank you for your stories of your hens and their hearty meals, it just shows that these loveable fowl have a predatory side to them, no wonder they are looking in such fine health  :lol:

I own 5 hens and love them all dearly, they all seem to have their own individual personality and funny ways.

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 29 queries.