How to plant spuds (for spud haters)

• 18 Replies

mkhenry

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 22:59 »
Sorry I forgot to add,Crowndale your way beats my way hands down. Glad no one saw you  :oops:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

crowndale

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 07:49 »
My cats haven't tried to steal the spuds but then they have tried using the newly dug over spud bed as a toilet.  I am getting heartily sick of having to cover every single bed with netting just to keep my blasted cats off them, they are the biggest nuisance my garden has!  This morning I found one of them stripping my elderberry tree, well, I say 'tree', it is only 18 inches high, but will not get much bigger iof they keep stripping it so I have had to put net on that as well.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

mkhenry

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 18:32 »
I have no less than 6 cats that visit my garden. Not one gives me any bother. Silky insists on helping or must look into everything but never digs anything up or leaves any unwanted deposits. The rest just lay around watching. Some times I have one on the fence one next to me and one about 9 feet away.The downside is that I never have any birds in my garden not one. They do sell electric cat scare devices,or even water jets that target movement. These do work. Plus pop bottles filled with water and laid around.(this From a lottie owner on these Forums). There is a lot you can do including a bit of cat training.  :D

crowndale

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 21:05 »
Trouble is they mostly mess the beds during the night, and it might even be a strange cat doing it, I have even wondered about foxes as some of the deposits are HUGE and most un cat like, for my cats anyway.  I spray the beasts when I see them or say pshh at them because they hate that!

I found a big balck cat today coming out of my shed (which is shut by a couple of bricks).  I have known for a while that something was living in there but not seen anything til today.  time to clear it I think, it's full of old cardboard boxes (flat packed).  

It may well be time for a different approach to simply netting, I had thought of fruit cages!  But thats an expensive option.

xx
Yield per spud plant?

Started by LJB12 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 09:04
by richy
xx
Can i plant late spud crop after early or main this rotation

Started by Theedes on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 22:02
by DD.
xx
For the cat-haters...

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 08:05
by willowman
xx
Can i plant my spuds yet?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 16:20
by Willow_Warren

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 38 queries.