Mantis - User review.

• 4 Replies

bikerjohn

Mantis - User review.
« on: July 26, 2007, 04:26 »
I took delivery of a new Mantis a short while ago, so I am just posting to let you know my thoughts.  Initial impression, after using it about four times, is that it is an excellent machine.  My allotment , or three quarters of it, was overgrown, mainly with couch grass.  I treated this with Roundup, and I was left with a load of yellow thatch.  The rotovating was a two part process, removing the dead couch, and then rotovating.  The Mantis tore through the thatch, but, couch grass being as tough as old boots, the blades had to be frequently cleared.  The soil is very compacted, and hasn't been cultivated for some years, so it is too much to ask to just rotovate it and that's that.  Whilst the Mantis will burrow down into the compacted soil, I found the best way was to break up the surface, and then the Mantis comes into it's own.  With very little effort, it leaves the soil in a nice fine tilth.  A rake over, and the soil is ready for use, looking very neat indeed.  It started easily after three or four pulls from cold, and started immediately when hot.  When ticking over it was very quiet, and quieter than the usual two stroke machine when working.
So overall, an excellent machine.  Very light and manageable, but surprisingly powerful.  It will till a surprisingly large area very quickly, and leave the resultant fine tilth looking very neat indeed.  It will work to a depth of about 10".
Recommended.
John.
Things is not as they used to was before they is as they am now, so why wallop yon horse with parachute?

crowndale

Mantis - User review.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:53 »
Thanks for that, I did wonder if such a small machine was a useful addition to an allotment or not.  I have been looking at the honda F110 (I think!) which is slightly bigger, anyone got one of these to compare to a mantis?
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Mantis - User review.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 11:07 »
That's great John, thank you.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

shaun

Mantis - User review.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 20:04 »
well written biker do you find it easier if you tilt it slightly so it digs in harder ground.
welcome to the mantis fan club :wink:
i bought a lawn edger for mine (i havnt got a lawn but my mother-in-law does)and is brilliant realy easy and effortless.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

bikerjohn

Mantis. Reply.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 04:38 »
Hi Shaun,

Yes, it is easier to tilt it in harder soil.  I found if you move it in a sort of circular motion, that helps too.  I got a good deal and luckily there was an edger included, but haven't given that a try yet.  I also like the ease of transport, as I don't want to leave it in the shed, it's so easy to pop in and out of the car.  Terrific machine.
John.

xx
Raised bed advice please for new allotment user

Started by simpson-allen on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 09:17
by compostqueen
xx
Templar tiller 400 rotovator user manual required please.

Started by Dragontest on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 22:17
by Dragontest
xx
3kw Greenhouse Heater Review

Started by wil4025 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 13:27
by wil4025
thumbup
Honda FG110 Mini Tiller review

Started by Diy-king on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 08:17
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 35 queries.