Flowers my chicks won't eat?

• 1 Replies

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
Flowers my chicks won't eat?
« on: January 29, 2012, 17:29 »
I have 2 free range bantams in my back garden (we think 2 girls but thats a whole new topic!) and they are eating everything!

There is a lawn of grass, its a bit mossy but there is grass too, the have a feeder full of corn and hen layer pellets, they get goodies like apple, bread, cake and the left over parrot food (sunflowers, millet, nuts, seeds etc) but the little rascals have nibbled most of my flowers, lavender, aqualigia, tulips, primrose, oh they oved all the primula and have started on the strawberry plants and the rhodedendrons (spelling?)

Tomorrow I was thinking of making some covers to give the new growth a chance to recover using chicken wire, I wanted to ask if any one lse had the same issue? what helped? do you know of any nice flowers they wont eat?

I dont want to stick them in a run as they are used to the whole garden to scratch around.

Let me know your thoughts please

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Flowers my chicks won't eat?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 18:11 »
The only things mine don't like are herbs like rosemary, thyme, sage so you might try them or even lavender.  Not sure if mine ate geraniums last year or osteospermum so they might be o.k.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Chicks

Started by Jeanette on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 14:57
by joyfull
xx
Bye Bye chicks

Started by Thingy on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 17:13
by Thingy
xx
new chicks..

Started by Craigx on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 22:24
by Craigx
xx
new chicks!

Started by Craigx on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 16:32
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 34 queries.