I think I am officially over chickened!

• 12 Replies

Casey76

I think I am officially over chickened!
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:37 »
I picked up my 3 commercial POL leghorns on Saturday (after buying 3 POL production red layers because I had been told the leghorns were not available  )

My sabelpoot boy has fallen head over heels in love with them. He spends all day at the fence displaying and dancing, and seems a bit bemused why they won't come and say hello!

The leghorns are such silly things! Quite happy to stay in the pen during the day, then on Saturday night I nearly had a heart attack as I could only find one! She was perching on the edge of the pen, but the other two were no where to be found. After 10 mins of searching around the pen with a torch, I eventually found one perching on my boundry fence in the shade of a yew hedge, and i was just about ready to give up on the other one, when I eventually found her behind a bunch of scrap wood sitting against my boundry. How she got there I have no idea. Anyway they were both ensconsed in the coop at last.

Yesterday I was in the garden at roosting time, and I kept shooing them off the fence when they jumped up. I eventually got them all in the coop, but I've now clipped a wing each, so hopefully they'll find it more difficult to jump up now    :mad:

As of yesterday afternoon I had 13 bantam dottes chicks, 5 birchen Marans chicks; 3 leghorns, 3 production reds, 2 brahmas, 2 sabelpoots and two oddlots. Last night I stuck outside 3 brahma and 4 NN chicks.

Inside I have 1 brahma, 1 NN, 5 Cendre, 5 copper blue Marans and 7 sabelpoots, with another 8 sabelpoots due to hatch this Saturday

oops!

daisy1990

Re: I think I am officially over chickened!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:32 »
sounds like heaven to me- living in France and lots of chickens!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 08:36 »
how has the run making gone Casey?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:21 »
Hehe delayed and delayed... though I have had to strengthen the defences, as the chicks are little wotsits for being able to find the smallest holes to climb through!

I'm hoping tonight I'll get home early enough to bang some fence posts in, and to make at least one pen...

So many things to do... so little time!  Work does get in the way of my hobbies lol!

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 12:03 »
There's just something so attractive about that fence!  And you DO have a whole mess of chickens, don't you!  You enjoy all the fun and monkey business going on!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 17:13 »
Yes Casey, You have lote and lots of chickens   :lol:  :lol:

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 18:19 »
Please can you all memorise that my mum said heaven was 'having lots of chickens'!!!!!
Next time i'm asking for more I may need you all as back up =D I really want a frizzle and one of the chickens we've seen advertised in the local pet shop ;)
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

daisy1990

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 19:08 »
Mulberry please be aware I can still read this in Portugal and dad says NO!!!

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 19:09 »
so what breed of chickens are advertised in the local shop?

pigeonpie

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 19:12 »
As I've said before.. There's no such thing as too many chickens, just such things as not enough garden and not enough time!

Do we get pics of the "family"?

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 19:28 »
Dad always says no. Dad said No to all 25 of the animals we have.

It's Lavendar Pekins at the pet shop =D

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 19:28 »
very pretty - sounds like heaven to me  ;)  :lol:

evie2

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 19:39 »
Ooo, all those poots :happy:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 37 queries.