Duck House design

• 1 Replies

makedoandmend

Duck House design
« on: June 18, 2011, 20:00 »
Folks,

Having trawled through the images on the internet I need to speak to someone that has actually tried various designs of duck house to weigh up the pros and cons.

Function over form is my priority. I intend keeping 2 laying indian runners (this may mean 3-4 birds however). I was considering a fairly straightforward design with an offset pop hole, but with an internal 'baffle' forming an entrance hall, the idea being that the ducks can shelter from the wind with the pop hole open, regardless of wind direction.

I've seen recommendations for a slatted floor to assist with ventilation, but not too sure about the 'company' this could attract.

I'll make the panels removable from a structural frame for cleaning / disinfecting.

Tried and tested designs / advice all welcome.

Thanks in anticipation.

orchardlady

Re: Duck House design
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 22:10 »

Unfortunately I'm not 'handy' but this is the house I have three (up until yesterday 4 when one died of being egg bound) Kaki Campbell ducks in. It is very practical and easy to keep clean. I just didn't put he roosting bars in the house. I use Aubiose as bedding and give the contents a quick 'stir' each day to help keep it tidy and Aubiose is very absorbent. I think slatted floor might be a bit uncomfortable on their webbed feet. I keep this house up on two bricks at each corner and a couple of bricks in front of the pop hole for them to step up into the house. This is enough to keep the house dry internally and stops the moisture from the ground making the interior damp. It also stops/ greatly reduces the house from rotting. Wood in direct contact with the ground just plain rots even when treated. My ducks free range and so find plenty of shelter from wind etc. but you could make a simple field shelter that would be more than adequate. My birds survived the bitter cold of this winter quite happily in this house. Although quite expensive I have used these houses over many years for poultry and they last vey well at approx. 10 years. If you are going to build a house yourself bear in mind the cost of materials in comparison to to one of these.

Best of luck

Orchardlady

http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/poultry-housing/bedgebury-802-poultry-coop.htm

xx
hen house design hints

Started by Zak the Rabbit on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 10:47
by parson
xx
House design and selection for Red Mite prevention.

Started by hillfooter on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 22:05
by binghamd
xx
Duck House

Started by Tensing on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 07, 2006, 10:02
by Tensing
xx
Duck House

Started by Debz on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 18:24
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 39 queries.