Starting with ducks

• 4 Replies

Daucus

Starting with ducks
« on: August 05, 2009, 15:59 »
We have a ridiculous slug problem here - the lawn is crawling with them, and they are like something out of a horror film (I tried drowning them in a big tub, only to see 20 or so slugs emerging from the water and climbing back out! eeuuurgh!).

anyway... a permaculture book I'm reading says it's not a question of having too many slugs, but not enough ducks, and that they would be the answer to the problem.

Does this sound feasible - they would be kept in a run of electric netting as a fox has recently started visiting. We have a broody coop going spare, would that be OK for 2 or 3 ducks to sleep in at night? I've also read they can eat layers pellets, is this correct?

And how to solve the problem of giving them water to swim in? Does it need to be running water, if not how often would it need to be changed? How deep would the container need to be?

The book suggests either Khaki Campbells or runner ducks as being the most carnivorous.

Sorry for all the questions, but a google search gave a lot of differing opinions!

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Starting with ducks
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 19:57 »
I love my ducks and they have done wonders for my slug problem. I started with a couple of Campbells  but now have a bit of a collection with some Wehsh Harlequins, a silver Appleyard, a Cayuga and some hybrids (found the Campbells very nervy).

Have a look here and see if it is any use.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=20427.msg245699#msg245699
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 20:00 »
I have runners and a couple of cuyaga crosses (from kate!) the first thing they do in the morning is wander off on a slug hunt! yeuchhhhh!!! :D :D

Daucus

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 19:52 »
Thankyou! Loads of information in that link, very nice of you to put all that out there.

So, any breed recommendations? We're on top of a windy hill, so preferably a hardy type.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 20:08 »
Have to confess that I am not a big fan of Campbells. They have a great reputation as layers (mine have obviously not heard that!) but also for being very nervous which mine certainly are! My silver Appleyard is much more beautiful, a calmer, happier duck and out lays them hands down! She was also a great broody and mum, restarted laying about 4 weeks after hatch and has misses 2 days in about 6 weeks since. Would recommend them to anyone.
I also have some Welsh Harlequins that have a great reputation as layers (mine are too young to have started so can't offer an opinion there) but are very beautiful and less nervy than the Campbells despite being younger and raised by a broody and therefore not used to being handled.

And then there is Patrick, my Cayuga. He has the nicest temperment, his offspring are also very friendly despite being crossed with my Campbells. All to young to know if they will lay well although Cayugas are not known for that.

xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
Starting to lay!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 19:37
by Wildeone
xx
Just starting out

Started by kelbenjae on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 21:52
by babe
xx
Just starting

Started by Newbie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 09:55
by Viv

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 37 queries.