First strawberry

• 9 Replies

Settman

First strawberry
« on: May 17, 2011, 09:40 »
Have been watching my first strawberry getting redder and redder over the last few days,went out to my veggie patch this morning and something has munched half of it away,grrrrrrrrr not happy  >:( :( :(
Is God an Alien

bigben

Re: First strawberry
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:49 »
I have my eyes on two that are almost ready to eat. The last one went red and I picked it slightly early in my fear of something else getting it. Now two are coming ripe at the same time and I keep wanting to pick them but am leaving in the hope they get properly ripe - it is a risk. I can see me having to net them all.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:53 »
I used to do this with the cherry tomatoes on our patio.....watching them get almost to perfect ripe sweetness ,and anticipating the moment of getting home from work and sinking my teeth into a freshly picked tomato.......Only the find when the moment arrived said tomato had disappeared!......Took me quite a while to realise the dog was nicking them! :ohmy:

ranat22

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:00 »
Have been watching my first strawberry getting redder and redder over the last few days,went out to my veggie patch this morning and something has munched half of it away,grrrrrrrrr not happy  >:( :( :(

pure sickener............slug pellets.....and beer traps will keep most of the ground pests off.....netting will stop the greedy birds.............did this last year and did,nt lose many

the first one always tastes the best tho....pity a bird or a slug had yours  :(

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 14:06 »
same here I was truly gutted next day I declared war - fresh straw - slug pellets and netting worked although had to re do my netting as the black bird was still getting in - been over today and all perfect ready to be picked when my daughter comes on from school - heaven on a plate!

Missy

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 15:08 »

[/quote]

pure sickener............slug pellets.....and beer traps will keep most of the ground pests off.....netting will stop the greedy birds.............did this last year and did,nt lose many

[/quote]

I am thinking of building a gun emplacement out of sand bags and mount a 24 hour guard on mine. No bloomin critter is going to eat my strawbs!  :D
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 15:57 »
I've already had to fight my 3yr old off the strawberry patch - he is convinced that the second a strawberry turns even mildly pinkish it is ready to eat :blink: Last year i caught him sitting under the netting munching green stawberries  :nowink:
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 16:13 »
I've already had to fight my 3yr old off the strawberry patch - he is convinced that the second a strawberry turns even mildly pinkish it is ready to eat :blink: Last year i caught him sitting under the netting munching green stawberries  :nowink:

My 3 yr old is just the same!

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 18:29 »
I had my first (well, 5) strawberry on Sunday..... gorgeous.....  ;)
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

ranat22

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 20:11 »

[/quote]

I am thinking of building a gun emplacement out of sand bags and mount a 24 hour guard on mine. No bloomin critter is going to eat my strawbs!  :D
[/quote]

hahaha...................and also one of them spot lights you see in them prisioner of war films  :tongue2:

xx
Strawberry bed - Strawberry sawfly

Started by R0b1et on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 13:12
by R0b1et
xx
Strawberry

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 13, 2022, 13:55
by Nobbie
xx
OK.... who ate my strawberry?!?!?!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 14:04
by Welsh Girls Allotment
xx
strawberry bed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 09:15
by grendel

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 35 queries.