herbs

• 6 Replies

celtbhoy

• Experienced Member
herbs
« on: March 28, 2007, 11:32 »
what the best way of growing curly parsley,in pots fisrt or straight into the plot?? any tips..

WG.

Re: herbs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:42 »
Quote from: "celtbhoy"
what the best way of growing curly parsley,in pots fisrt or straight into the plot?? any tips..
Parsley is erratic to germinate and happy to be transplanted so I'd suggest a nursery bed or seed tray.

If you like flat-leaved parsley, try Hamburg Parsley which gives you a bonus of a small parsnip-like root. Shade tolerant too.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
herbs
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 17:23 »
Be gentle when transplanting parsley, though, it's related to carrots so it has a long taproot that doesn't like being disturbed.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
herbs
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 18:00 »
Always start mine in seed trays, then plant it our in clumps. Never failed & I'm not all that gentle with it!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

herbs
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 18:45 »
Quote from: "Heather_S"
Be gentle when transplanting parsley, though, it's related to carrots so it has a long taproot that doesn't like being disturbed.

I moved some parsely plants this winter which were fully grown.  Sure, they lost a few of the outer leaves but they are growing away quite undeterred now.   But, yes, as with any transplant, be sure to lift with as much of the root system as possible.

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
herbs
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 19:02 »
Been so mild here this winter that Parsley has grown and was pickable all winter!!
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
herbs
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 19:46 »
Just bear in mind that parsley is a biennial. Any planted last year will seed this year and then die.  I find the first year leaves much more tender and flavoursome, so I treat it as an annual and sow fresh each year.

xx
herbs

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 11:26
by Roll Roll
xx
Herbs

Started by 240173paul on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 23:05
by Pol
xx
Herbs

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 21:26
by JayG
xx
herbs

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 20:41
by Annie

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 38 queries.