soft egg eating?

• 2 Replies

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
soft egg eating?
« on: May 15, 2009, 20:14 »
had 7 eggs today from 8 girls then at about 6pm we were eating our dinner and saw bokky running around with soft shell hanging from her mouth (Layla's) and the others all chasing her, went out there and then they were all eating what was left in the run! this doesnt mean they are gonna turn into egg eaters does it????? only just feeling good that we have sorted the plucking!  :(

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: soft egg eating?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 21:03 »
Mine usually eat a shell-less egg when it occurs.
My oldest hen used to break thin shelled eggs and eat them but if the shell is of normal thickness she does not do it, so it does not always mean a problem is coming.
Do you feed them on layers pellets and give them oyster shell? This should keep the shells thick enough to prevent the habit from developing.
It is always a good idea to collect eggs as soon as you can if you think a problem is developing.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: soft egg eating?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 21:33 »
Mine usually eat a shell-less egg when it occurs.
My oldest hen used to break thin shelled eggs and eat them but if the shell is of normal thickness she does not do it, so it does not always mean a problem is coming.
Do you feed them on layers pellets and give them oyster shell? This should keep the shells thick enough to prevent the habit from developing.
It is always a good idea to collect eggs as soon as you can if you think a problem is developing.
Thankyou! Feel abit better now! The girlie that laid the softie has only been laying for a week so am sure its just learner hic ups! they have layers and plenty of oyster shell.
The egg was laid in the run (must of taken her by surprise poor girl) and i collect eggs twice a day! so fingers crossed

xx
Soft Egg / Egg Eating

Started by Little Red Hen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 12:04
by Little Red Hen
sad
Soft Eggs and Egg eating PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 15:09
by otis pony
sad
SOFT EGGS AND EGG EATING HEN PLEASE HELP!!!!

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 07:06
by wolverine
xx
Eating soft shell eggs!

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2012, 16:29
by moomoos42

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 36 queries.