chutney - an exact science? or will my bung it all in work ok????

• 8 Replies

titch

I have made some chutneys recently

oddly both containing courgettes  :lol: :lol: :lol:
the fisrt lot containing the aforementioned vegetable, along with onions, cooking apples, vinegar, sugar and a little salt, oh and ginger, coriander and cumin  :ohmy:

and another with same vegetable  ::)plus onionm tomatoes, apple, and chillies, whit vinegar and sugar, a little salt and garlic.

had to do something to use up the 'gettes - only so many ways you can eat them in one weekend without the groaning setting in  :lol: ;)

i wondered - is there an exact science or will they trun out ok?  i tasted the cooked mix before jarring and both tasted qquite yum but a little vingary (know this mellow over time)

Just wondered ........................... as i do like to bng things in and see what happens  :ohmy: :wacko:
just keep breathing................

Beetroot queen

I have done both ways in the past and they all seem to turn out fine or is that just because recipes dont give us samples so we have nothing to compare it with.

Like the sounds of the chutneys fancy sharing  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
The sugar&vinegar to veg fruit ratio should be correct or the chutneys may not keep as well as they should....
In other words you can alter the fruit/veg to include whatever you fancy(but weighing the same as the recipe) but the amount of vinegar/sugar should remain the same (as in the recipe)
This sounds a bit awkward but couldn't find a better way of saying it, sorry :unsure:

of course you can alter your spices to taste :)

titch

ooh the vinegar and sugar ratio's were done on a 'that looks about enough' and 'that tastes less sour' kind of thing  :lol: :wacko:

had good fun making it so if they dont turn out ok will know for next time  :blink:

will mkae note to self about vinegar sugar ratio's for next week (will be overrun with courgettes again by then)

thanks

bq - once they have matured will send some in an envelope  :lol: :lol: :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
had good fun making it so if they dont turn out ok will know for next time 
They'll be fine i'm sure just eat them quickly :)

titch

how quickly?  should i make a start on them now or in a couple of weeks?

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
It's hard to say without knowing how much of each you used! If you open it now, it's likely to still taste too vinegary and won't have had time enough for the true taste to emerge. I'd keep it sealed for a couple of months and then try it. You'll soon find out if it's not going to keep if mould appears on the top........in which case, chuck it.
Val
Recipes Galore!

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
My mum doesnt belive in exact science when cooking - whether its jam making, cakes, pies, pastries, flans, tarts, pickles or the sunday roast, she just uses the bung it in method.  All her cooking tastes great, lasts well in storage and wins her prizes at the local agriculture and agriculture shows in the craft and flower tents.

In fact mum and I were entering the same competition for fairy cakes, I forgot to pick up a  fairy cake tin so rang mum up to knock some up for me, both lots were entered (2 seperate batches of cake mixture were used) and mum won 1st "I" won 2nd so the good old tried and tested method of bung it all in together always works.

I cook the same and use the "this tastes ok" method whilst adding ingredients and have had no issues with food poisoning etc...

Good luck, it will be ok.

OVP

titch

It's hard to say without knowing how much of each you used! If you open it now, it's likely to still taste too vinegary and won't have had time enough for the true taste to emerge. I'd keep it sealed for a couple of months and then try it. You'll soon find out if it's not going to keep if mould appears on the top........in which case, chuck it.

thanks val - one lid was slightly loose this morning think its a crummy jar (not the contents, the jar) so will put that one in the back of the fridge and see what happens.

xx
Squash and apple chutney - will it work?

Started by Oscar Too on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 11:09
by Oscar Too
xx
Just bung 'em all in?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 26, 2013, 15:11
by Kleftiwallah
xx
chutney

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 18:27
by Yorkie
xx
chutney

Started by captainhastings on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 08:43
by New shoot

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 40 queries.