Nettle tea what when etc

• 12 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Nettle tea what when etc
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:48 »
I have a bucket of nettle tea in my garden (rotten nettles in water which people say is good for plants).
However I am not sure what fruits will benefit and when can anyone help ?

I have the following fruits :-  , strawberries *, apples *, blueberries *, gooseberries **, jostaberries *, blackcurrant (no leaves yet), mulberry (ditto), white currant, tayberry, bramble, apline strawberries***, cape gooseberry ***, sunberry and tomatoes *.

* = some in flower
** = some in fruit.
*** = only seedlings.

Which would benefit from nettle tea and when ?

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
Nettle tea what when etc
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 19:32 »
I have made some this month, it is a good foliar food suitable for giving plants strong leaf growth. It is high in nitrogen and if made correctly should be diluted and fed to and plants. I would guess that all would benefit from nettle tea as it is natural and will be absorbed by any kind of growth.

Also contains potassium for fruit growth so any I would think it can be applied any time, but like any fertilizer don't overdose.

It is also supposed to prevent pests and diseases in other plants (according to RHS study.)

I am using it on tomato, broccoli and other leafy plants to give them a boost. The tomatoes in particular seem to be thriving on it!!!

Fill yer boots!!!
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

halfawhale

Nettle tea what when etc
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 19:17 »
Nettle tea sounds good do you use it like comfrey tea and how do you dilute it, what part nettle to water and how long do you leave it befor use.
jan.

gobs

Nettle tea what when etc
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 20:38 »
It is very strong, dilute well, before use, but not rich enough in potassium for fruit, you will need to add some of that, especially in pots.

1 kg nettle in 10 l water, for 2 weeks, dilute 1 part to 10 parts of water.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

halfawhale

Nettle tea what when etc
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:14 »
Thanks for that info R Dahl I will get some on the go right away.
Jan :D

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Nettle tea what when etc
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 14:04 »
Quote from: "gobs"
It is very strong, dilute well, before use, but not rich enough in potassium for fruit, you will need to add some of that, especially in pots.

1 kg nettle in 10 l water, for 2 weeks, dilute 1 part to 10 parts of water.

But do all fruits benefit equally or should some eg Raspberries be fed more than others eg Gooseberries or Blueberries ?

gobs

Nettle tea what when etc
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 21:24 »
I don't use this on my soft fruit, I just manure them. But they all should benefit equally, apart from:

blueberry and the like acid lovers, nettle and comfrey feed are not to be used on them.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Nettle tea what when etc
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 21:31 »
Quote from: "gobs"
I don't use this on my soft fruit, I just manure them. But they all should benefit equally, apart from:

blueberry and the like acid lovers, nettle and comfrey feed are not to be used on them.

Thanks - I think blueberries are the only acid loves I have.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
nettle tea
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 20:36 »
Once you've covered the nettle leaves in water (mine are in an old icecream tub as I only have a teeny garden to feed), am I right in presuming you keep the lid on/ sealed, and does the container need to be kept cool? I only had one nettle growing on my path so decided to put it to good use  :oops:  thanks

gobs

Nettle tea what when etc
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 21:37 »
The lid sure will keep the smell intact for you and also the juice stronger, but I don't think either of those are necessary.

gobs

Nettle tea what when etc
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 21:37 »
The lid sure will keep the smell intact for you and also the juice stronger, but I don't think either of those are necessary.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
nettl tea what & when
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 21:47 »
Thanks Gobs, looking back through previous postings , I  think I've been a little premature making mine, I thought they had to brew for 2 weeks not 2 days. All my toms & veggies are seedling phase under cloches, apart from my swedes from last year, and my perpetual spinach, um...., oops  :oops:

gobs

Nettle tea what when etc
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 21:51 »
You don't want to feed seedlings at all, but this is strong stuff, only mature plants.

xx
Nettle Tea

Started by Terry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 19:37
by sawnee
xx
nettle tea

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 08:35
by gavinjconway
xx
Nettle Tea

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 14:26
by Trillium
xx
Nettle Tea

Started by Nige2Plots on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 14:06
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.