Overwintering Chillis

• 9 Replies

galen

• Experienced Member
Overwintering Chillis
« on: January 17, 2009, 20:27 »
Sorry, this is a bit long winded but I thought some history behind the plant may help.

I was given a Scotch Bonnet plant early last year (about April I think) which produced some flowers and a couple of fruits when my 3 year old daughter decided it would be a great place to sit :shock: . Of course it then came back with vengeance to produce 40 odd fruits in the end :lol: . I moved it inside October time when all the leaves had fallen off in an effort to preserve and ripen the remaining fruits on the plant. I was cutting it back as fruits were ripening but imagine my surprise (not being a chilli expert and not realising they were perennials) when just before Christmas it started throwing out leaves again.

Having just got a lottie and joining this forum I did a search and read through various threads:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=26517
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=25925
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=23300

But I seem to be in a slightly different position: The plant is still at least 12 inches tall, previous prunning was totally haphazard just to make sure remaining Chillis prospered, with the new leaves growing from the top 2 branchs. It currently lives inside on a west facing kitchen windowsill, in the 6 inch plot I originally moved it to in May and is sparingly watered every week.

Do I now hack it back by 1/2 as suggested, getting rid of the new leaves,  re-pot it with fresh compost or just leave it to get on by itself ?

Cheers
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

sawnee

• Experienced Member
Overwintering Chillis
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 20:38 »
Hi Galen, nice to meet another "local"  :wink:
Sorry cant help you with your problem as next year will be my first year trying to grow chilies (new venture to add some fire to the allotment produce) but I will be watching your replys with interest for myself.
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

breathecosse

Overwintering Chillis
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 23:05 »
I would cut it back now.
Trim the root ball and replant in a smaller pot
with fresh compost.

sharky

• Experienced Member
Overwintering Chillis
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 23:28 »
I chop them down so they are about 6" or so, prune the roots and re pot them. Should see some life in them in about 4ish weeks.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Overwintering Chillis
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:36 »
Quote from: "sharky"
I chop them down so they are about 6" or so, prune the roots and re pot them. Should see some life in them in about 4ish weeks.

exactly what Ive done  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

galen

• Experienced Member
Overwintering Chillis
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:06 »
The problem I have is that the new growth has already started - from the top 6 inches !

Do you still recommend the big chop ?

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
Overwintering Chillis
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:11 »
My overwintered scotch bonnet is throwing out new growth left right and center, it is indoors in a conservatory along with a plain old capsicum and a cayenne. The other two have green buds but seem dormant. I figured they all must be happy so I am leaving them too it now.

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
Overwintering Chillis
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 11:43 »
If it has started growing again I do not see the point in cutting it back, certainly not by much

breathecosse

Overwintering Chillis
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 22:07 »
Quote from: "galen"
The problem I have is that the new growth has already started - from the top 6 inches !

Do you still recommend the big chop ?

I would still chop it back.
With low level light just now the plant is just wasting energy.

galen

• Experienced Member
Overwintering Chillis
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 00:07 »
Thanks everyone

breathecosse - If you're sure, it has a dozen leaves from each (2) bud at the moment, lower half looks very "woody" and am not sure where it would grow from. (I suppose a Chilli forum might provide more answers  :wink: )

Anyway, I suppose I'd better get back to my couch grass, Christmas, bathroom decoration, weather and holidays have got in the way over the past month and a half. Time to strt digging again  :)

xx
Overwintering chillis and peppers

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 18:10
by shokkyy
xx
Big Chillis

Started by backpain on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 16:40
by backpain
xx
chillis

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 09:43
by agapanthus
xx
What to do with my chillis

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 08:29
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 37 queries.