Golden Polish is not well

• 18 Replies

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
Re: Golden Polish is not well
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 14:04 »
Cat, sounds like your hen is going to survive, which is great news.

Another thing you can do for a sick or traumatised hen is to give them electrolytes in their water. In the US, you can get Pedialyte from the drugstore, which is a children's supplement. You just dilute it according to the instructions. I know a lot of chicken keepers in the US who swear by it. You can also use it now and then just to perk up a chicken after a moult for example.

If you wanted to link up with other US chicken enthusiasts, then I have found this site really useful, also for advice on emergency treatments, etc. www.backyardchickens.com

I hope your little hen goes from strength to strength.

catgoodyear

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 01:36 »
Violet is pecking, eating, and drinking by herself now!  She has lost a bit of weight though, and she's moulting (loosing a lot of feathers at least) so that has us concerned.  Is that normal after a traumatic event? 

I will definitley do the Pedialyte thing.....I was making up an electrolyte mix from powder, but Pedialyte is much easier. 

I'll keep you posted!

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 08:08 »
That is great news!

I don't know if moulting can occur as a result of trauma, but it would certainly make sense as a stress reaction. You might want to give her a vitamin and mineral supplement for a few weeks while she moults, as she will need a lot of her natural resources to make new feathers. I use something in the UK called "chicken spice" but I know people in the US who use children's vitamins added to the water. If you do this, make sure you get the one without iron. I am not sure of the correct dilution for chickens, but you might be able to find this out from the forum I mentioned as it is widely used in the US.

Beano

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 09:11 »
Hi, I'm glad to hear your chicken is getting better. Moulting is natural after such trauma. Poppy lost a frightning amount of feathers when she was getting better. Whenever I lifted her up, there was a circle of feathers where she was sat. I gave her poultry spice in her feed also and the occasional piece of cat food as a treat. Not too much of the cat food though because it can make their poo stink like cat poo.
El.

xx
golden pheasants

Started by reddragon on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 18:52
by Ice
xx
golden maran bantams

Started by ingledew on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 06:22
by ingledew
xx
Golden pencilled hamburgs

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 11:45
by Craigx
xx
My new Polish Chicks

Started by slowef on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2007, 20:00
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 38 queries.