sweetcorn- which variety? +tips?

• 18 Replies

Elm street

• Experienced Member
Re: sweetcorn- which variety? +tips?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 08:38 »
I cannot remember the variety we grew last year but they did very well, we were late getting the plot but started the seeds in loo roll tubes and when we planted them out at 6" high we put plastic bottle cloches over them. They all produced lovely cobs!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 09:15 »
Was not even aware that you would grow sweetcorn under cover or is that just to start them off in colder climates.

I grow a crop (to maturity) in my greenhouse. Ripens several weeks earlier than the outdoor crop (which I also grow).  Have to manually tap the plant stems to dislodge the pollen as no wind to distribute the pollen inside the greenhouse.

24-June (2010)

lettice

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 08:35 »
Interesting that Kristen, have not seen sweetcorn grown under cover.
It works well for me to grow mine once my broad beans have finished, as I hate to see good growing soil bare.
For me, if my greenhouse was that big I would grow more tomatoes and cucumbers than I do now. Not that Im not happy with what I grow in the greenhouse feeding us and my neighbours very well over the summer and Autumn.

Only sowed my first batch of sweetcorn less than a week ago and they are already sprouting, its all the warm weather we are getting I suppose.
2015-04-20 Golden Bantam.jpg
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:37 by lettice »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 09:59 »
if my greenhouse was that big I would grow more tomatoes and cucumbers than I do now.

They are on the other side of the greenhouse. I have a row of Tomatoes (18 plants), aubergines / peppers (can't remember, probably 18 plants) and Melons against the glass - 15 or so.  That's more than enough Tomatoes for us ... there are also 3 Cucumbers on the end wall, again more than enough for us.

I inter-plant the Corn with Peppers and Aubergines which come on after the Corn is finished. The plants are held back in largish pots to then follow-on.

xx
sweetcorn not all the same variety

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 16:19
by Kristen
xx
Help: Tastiest Sweetcorn Variety

Started by VirginVegGrower on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 21:24
by mashbintater
xx
sweetcorn tips please!

Started by chickchick on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 18:46
by chickchick
xx
Sweetcorn planting out tips

Started by Babycat on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post May 23, 2014, 11:29
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 36 queries.