1st egg for first time chicken keeper!

• 7 Replies

neenyneen

1st egg for first time chicken keeper!
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:28 »
Ive had my chickens for almost 9 weeks and was getting rather tired of my next door neighbor guffawing over the garden wall, telling me i had bought dud chickens,  as my lovely ladies hadn't laid an egg yet  :mad:
I got a text off my OH last night saying that there was a shell less egg in the run  :(, i was a bit gutted, but happy that they may be on their way to laying. I got home at about 9.30pm last night, looked in the nesting box and lo and behold, the most perfect tiny little egg you ever did see!  :lol: can't wait to get home from work tonight!!!!
love my chickens me! :-)

Raven81

Re: 1st egg for first time chicken keeper!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:49 »
Mine started laying 2 weeks ago, the highlight of every afternoon is looking for eggs!!!
I'm with you on the excitement!!   :) 8) :)
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:56 »
There's nothing like the sight of that first egg!  Good on her!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

neenyneen

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 13:04 »
im not sure which one has laid the egg, i have a sneaky suspicion it may be my bluebell (Babs) as she was acting strange on Tuesday night, but then again my Black Rock (Rocky) has the biggest wattles and comb, the blacktail (Ginger) has the smallest comb and wattles and is really tiny compared to the others, so i am most definatley sure its not her! Eggciting or what?!!!! lol  :tongue2:

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 19:04 »
Now all you have to decide is how to cook it  :D     ...mmmm boiled with toast soliders?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

dawnie77

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 23:24 »
i cant wait for my 1st egg, my older girls are about 11 weeks so still a way off yet, can you eat them as soon as they start laying?? prob sounds a stupid question but i am a chicken virgin so learning lots lol

neenyneen

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 14:08 »
i cant wait for my 1st egg, my older girls are about 11 weeks so still a way off yet, can you eat them as soon as they start laying?? prob sounds a stupid question but i am a chicken virgin so learning lots lol

Hi Dawnie

Yes you can eat them as soon as they start laying. I got another five eggs off mine , so a total of six in five days.!!  :D two out of the three of my hens are laying, (Babs and Rocky)! just have to wait for ginger to get into gear now and i'll have loads of eggs!

My kids had the first three scrambled for their dinner on Saturday night, my youngest son took it upon his self to do a spot of baking with the fourth egg and broke it into the wall paper paste bucket (we are decorating) and i have yesterdays two eggs just waiting to be cooked. They really are very very tasty - so much better than shop bought eggs!

Good luck with your chooks - oh and they don't half make a hell of a racket when they are laying - must be a bit Ouch tho eh? :wacko:

dawnie77

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 10:07 »
lol the size maybe its like us giving birth lol
cant wait. :tongue2:

xx
Brand new chicken keeper

Started by x-eve-x on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 16:43
by Kathie
xx
Chicken Care at holiday time

Started by The Goods on Chicken Chat

31 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 14:02
by SMS6
cheesy
Hello from a new hen keeper!

Started by JaneS on Chicken Chat

35 Replies
Last post September 17, 2012, 23:36
by ANHBUC
xx
new ex-bat keeper

Started by daisy 2 on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 13:25
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.