greenhouse question

• 3 Replies

alan/gill

greenhouse question
« on: February 19, 2015, 22:45 »
Evening all, i have just bought a heater for the greenhouse (thermostate controled )
my question is ,what do you think would be a good average temperature for the greenhouse...thanks

Markw

• Experienced Member
Re: greenhouse question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:09 »
I am no expert and don't even have a greenhouse, but my friend only uses a heater in his greenhouse to keep the temperature up on very cold nights when there is a chance of frost.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:18 »
If you have Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucumbers, Melons, Aubergines then they need a minimum of 10C (they won't die below that, but they will "stall" and get stressed).

For germination you generally need higher (not for Brassicas though), so either a propagator (in greenhouse) or get them to germinate in the house, and then move them to the greenhouse.

Budget priced electric heaters often have rubbish thermostats, so the difference between when they come on, and go off (Hysteresis) might be as much as 10C, which either wastes a lot of electricity (heating to 20C :( ) or kills your plants (failing to come on until 0C :( )

Worth checking how it performs if you can ... a logging thermometer is a boon for that, but I don't suppose many people have one ... I have one that plugs into USB and I can then download the temperatures it has recorded, but they are about £30.

I have a very accurate thermostat for my heater, cost about £50, and it keeps the greenhouse to within 0.5C. I reckon I saved the £50 in not wasting electricity in a season or two.

alan/gill

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 07:55 »
thankyou

xx
Greenhouse question

Started by Thephoenix572 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 08:38
by DD.
xx
Greenhouse on top of decking question...

Started by veggies on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2013, 20:26
by snowdrops
xx
small greenhouse question

Started by Caretaker on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post October 12, 2011, 19:24
by sunshineband
xx
Greenhouse too big?

Started by tomlxx on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 18:17
by ARPoet

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.