Free firewood from the tip !

• 12 Replies

poultrygeist

« on: April 04, 2008, 15:23 »
Just taken a trailer load of rubble and rubbish down the tip.

Chap in front had a boot full of sycamore branches so I volunteered to recycle it for him. Just need to saw, split and stack it and it's another weeks' worth for Winter.
Downside is, he said he'd already dumped a load the last 2 days  :(

I love recycling. :D

had to share the tale.

Rob

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 16:20 »
Did you give him your phone number so he could call when he has another load? I would have.
We're still cutting and splitting 2 very large acers that had to come down on our property. And the 'scavengers' are still coming around asking for the wood. One even asked for a large slice so he could use it for splitting his wood on. Can't figure what the mental block is for others when they see you working on it.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 17:24 »
I kicked myself when I got home for not asking if he'd got more.

I've sawn and split about half so far. It'll last about a week I reckon but every little helps.
We like to use the fire in Autumn and Spring to save the gas bills and it's cosier than a white radiator.
I've got to put the coal bunker up yet once I've finished rendering the wall it's going against. We should be prepared for next Winter at least.
Last one we were burning the floorboards and old joists from the renovation. It's one way of getting rid of woodworm !

Rob

Angelah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 20:36 »
Have you thought of putting a request on freecycle? I advertised there that we had a load of prunings etc and had several requests. The guy that came to collect came complete with chainsaw as I had warned it was in big pieces - and helped us get more down! Must contact him again, to get the rest of it down! Since I advertised on freecycle I have noticed several 'wants' for firewood.

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 20:45 »
We've put up a wanted for a pond liner recently so I don't want to overdo it.
Haven't had any replies of course.

I may try in a couple of weeks. It is a good idea.

You see plenty of requests in Autumn when everyone suddenly panics mind you !

Rob

Poolfield2

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 21:25 »
We are always burning stuff from a renovation and am delighted to hear that you are administering retribution on the woodworm. What "weapon" do you find best for cutting floorjoists etc that have loads of nails in? :?

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 21:30 »
Fortunately most of the joists were in the hall which is only 3 feet wide so only had 2 nails a piece.
The ones in the spare bedroom were so rotten that they virtually disolved.

I have my trusty crowbar of course !

The new floor has been down for several months and is already squeeking so I'll have to pack it at some point.

Got plenty else to do meantime !  :wink:

Rob

Poolfield2

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 22:07 »
Working indoors is what I do when it's too wet for outdoors and indeed tomorrow may be that kind of day.

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 22:15 »
Nice sunny day here apparently !

but cold. Need to finish porch to get freezer out there to finsh kitchen, etc, etc

so I'll prob go to my parents to help them !!  :roll:

Rob

matron

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 16:29 »
We bought a tree off ebay for £26!!!!!! OH made a log splitter and the result was over 10 of the tonne builders bags full of logs. Also spotted same bags full of oak off cuts on ebay for  £5 which were waste from a carpentry business - when he advertised again we got together with a couple of neighbours and had all 30 bags off him. Will keep us going for a while.   :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 17:06 »
Blimey !!

My collection is looking quite healthy at the mo but mainly small stuff. My parents chopped their rowan last year so I had that and split the bigger bits and we had the apple tree prunings a couple of months back plus some laurel which I chopped down and split.
I bought a 6lb splitting maul from the cheap shop and it's Brilliant fun!!! :)

Real boy's toy. Followed through to the slabs and split that too  :roll:

I'm keeping an eye out for any tree work. I presume most firms keep the offcuts and sell on themselves. I hate to pay for anything so it's got to be freebies or nothing. We have 2 big trees on our drive which will need trimming in the next few years. They'll provide a winter's worth when it happens but it'll cost a few bob.

Rob

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 17:27 »
Locals around me will do regular cruisings to see if any trees have come down and ask if the owners want the wood. Many don't. To save petrol, you could just vary your drive home each night and check for downed trees, any tree works happening, check at places that work with wood for offcuts you could fill the boot with, etc. Amazing what you'll find if you look. I often got free wood from a place that did the insides of travel caravans. They'd bring in the units unfinished on the inside, do the support structures in wood (for seating, room separations, etc) and bin the off cuttings which they were glad to be rid of.

poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 18:29 »
Lots of tree-lined roads around here. I'd need the trailer on to get any.
I've only got a 24" bow saw but would love to get a petrol chainsaw. Have to see how things develop. Next door, in the graveyard, there are some real tall trees with very spindly branches. They were trimmed a few years back but I reckon they're due again soon. I'll be in there like a shot if they are. Obviously I'd ask permission first.  :roll:

Last year, 2 of the neighbours were sawing down branches and whole trees like kids at the fair til I objected. It was just uneducated destruction for the sake it. I had several goes about it but the sight of all that wood got to me and, hypocrite that i am, I snuck in at night and rescued lots of hawthorn. I did 'fess up and it burned nice and warm.  :)

Rob

xx
Free 14 day trial of Garden Advice Club (+ 2 FREE GARDENING BOOKS)

Started by commerlad on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 08:55
by commerlad
xx
free pack of veg or flower seeds and 8packs free

Started by kezlou on Frugal Living

97 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 19:48
by FRUITFULLS SIS
xx
Free £20 anyone?

Started by hectic on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 16:02
by richyrich7
xx
Free tv

Started by Madame Cholet on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post November 30, 2014, 21:32
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.