New chicken in distress

• 9 Replies

Smashedcrab

New chicken in distress
« on: April 30, 2012, 23:20 »
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me? We bought 4 chickens a couple of days ago and put them inside the coop when we got them home.  In the morning when we let them out we noticed that our columbine Korma was looking rather dejected.  She ate and drank ok, but as the day wore on I noticed that she was being pecked by two of the others.  In the evening when they took themselves to bed, Korma was perched just inside the doorway, not wanting to go in. When I ushered her inside, she immediately received a nasty peck from one of the others.
I thought they were simply sorting out their 'pecking order', however today I found Korma sitting down. On closer inspection I saw a red dot under her eye where she'd been pecked and her eye was watery.
I put Korma in a dog crate so that she could have some food and water in peace, and went out and bought Lincoln Purple Spray which I wiped below her eye. I also bought anti-peck which I've sprayed on her. What worried me was that she kept sittng/laying on her side, with her head tucked under her shoulder feathers. Is this normal 'sad chicken syndrome' or should I be thinking that she's ill, and that's why she's being pecked? Any suggestions? Please?

Tony H

• Experienced Member
Re: New chicken in distress
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 06:03 »
Hi usualy chucks do that when they have an illness or are feeling under the wether  :( the others will know that she is like this and will have a go more than usual i usualy seperate mine untill she gets better and to prevent anything from spreding to the others,
if she is still eating then give her some chicken spice with her food if she stops eating for while you may have to take her to the vet  :( hope she makes a full recovery
Chicken crazy

Smashedcrab

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 00:46 »
Thanks for that! I've got my poor Korma in a crate in the bathroom now. This morning I didn't think she was going to make it, in fact I thought she was dead, but a day in solitude seems to have helped because when I looked in on her this afternoon she was standing.  I bought some chicken spice as you adviced, and I've mixed it onto her food.  I heard her pecking the food an hour or so later, so hopefully she'll pull through. Thank you so much for your help  :)

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 21:46 »
So glad to hear she is improving. What is chicken spice, and what does it do??

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:41 »
Tony probably means poultry spice. It is a supplement for hens. Some people feed it all the time although this should not be necessary if the chooks are getting a balanced diet. Others like to feed it if chooks are under the weather or to give a boost when moulting. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 13:34 »
Thanks for that Sassy. Do they eat it readily? Would it be any good to give to my three who are having a sulk due to their cockerel going? See 'concern over hens'. I am still having to lift them out of nest box and this has gone on for nearly 4 weeks now. they aren't broody cos they aren't laying anything. Just being sulky.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 15:01 »
yes they can have it at any time and it does encourage them to eat, plus it smells really nice  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Smashedcrab

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 22:17 »
Sorry for the long delay but I've had a wicked cold, but the update on Korma's wellbeing is all good.  She spent 3 days in the bathroom listening to Classic FM lol, and I added poultry spice and Vermex pellets to her food and ACV to her water until she was happily rosey away. I then sprayed her with anti-peck and reintroduced her to the others. The next morning I noticed that she'd been pecked severely on her back (with blood drawn) so I sprayed the injury with Lincoln Purple spray and gave her another spray with anti-peck. I also took the ringleader away for a couple of days. Now that they are let out into the garden for most of the day they all seem to get along a lot better. Korma's back has healed and she's a happy chuck now! :D

Now I have a problem with Jerk, my Copper Black.  I noticed that when I threw wheat down she seemed to have difficulty picking it up. On closer inspection she seemed to be gasping for air. I've isolated her from the others (yes, dog crate, bathroom, Classic FM etc) and she is eating but her breathing has not improved over 2 days. On reading John & Cara Harrison's Backgarden Chickens book I think it may be bacterial so Jerk is off to the Vets. Hopefully he will put her right :unsure:

kegs

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 15:19 »
Have you wormed them all recently with Flubenvet?

Smashedcrab

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 16:04 »
I only got them 3 weeks ago, and they were fully vaccinated and I assume wormed as the supplier was very reputable. However the vet is prescribing Flubenvet which I am picking up tomorrow. I've got a new thread regarding this new problem under 'Chicken Chat' 'Sick Chicken - any suggestions?' as the vet wants to prescribe Baytril but I'm not too sure.

xx
bantam in distress

Started by virginia nuckols on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 18:52
by Foxy
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
how much does a chicken eat?

Started by cejx on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 11:21
by evie2
clip
Chicken

Started by IMER RAMADANI on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 28, 2020, 20:42
by grinling

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 39 queries.