Feather Pecking

• 24 Replies

Miller

Feather Pecking
« on: July 06, 2009, 17:32 »
I only ever get on here when I've got a problem  :(

A few weeks ago, one of our girlies managed to get herself wedged somewhere (not sure where as she didn't come in over night (we though a fox had got her) she was back the following morning but had somehow managed to rud the ends of all of the feathers on her back (no other injuries)

She is absolutely fine, but she has a really fluffy back - since then one of the others has take to pecking the fluffy feathers out of her back (a week or so after it happened) and another one started copying - the poor bird with the fluffy back ended up with a raw bald patch in about 3 hrs.

We separated the two peckers into a spare stable and one has now started doing it to the other one - so we now have one loose in a spare stable and the other caged in the same stable.

When we let the other 11 free range, the pecked pecker (with me so far??) is okish with the others as long as we keep her apart from the fluffy backed one but the other will peck anyone.

7 of the birds are just over a year and won't let the pecker peck them but the rest of her peer group will (they are around 6 months) - we've tried purple spray and vaseline with iodine/liquid paraffin/purle spray, dermoline and other antiseptics but it is awkward covering 11 other birds to stop her doing it.

They have all day access to organic layer, daily corn, greens, free range every day, oyster shell, poultry spice - any ideas??

OH has mentioned culling her but she's a lovely girl other than this

Chookster

• Experienced Member
Re: Feather Pecking
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 18:12 »
I know... what about using one of those saddle things on her til her feathers and back rocover??? Any good? At least the area will have a chance to be left alone to get better. 8)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 18:29 »
how about getting a beak clip thingy (you can buy 8 for £1 from the rare wild fowl trust), that may help  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Miller

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:07 »
Think the beak clip may be the only way to go, although when we let them out yesterday evening after work, one of the big girls stayed in with the pecker - she soon stopped the idea with that one!  ::)     Might be worth a try putting a fence in between for a few days and leaving the pecker in with the big ones  ???

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:21 »
Hi Abby, long time no speak!  I'm sorry you're having a problem!  You've tried the veseline trick too eh?  When the chicks started to peck a bit last week, I put vaseline with teatree oil in it on them liberally, and the others had a little peck and turned those noses up!!!

But looks like maybe the beak bit is your best choice.

I think I'll buy some in bulk and can let anyone have them who needs them. 

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 09:25 »
Hi grannie, not heard of the vaseline and tea tree oil trick will have to remember that in case of future problems  :D, thanks, joy xx

Miller

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 10:55 »
We tried vaseline mixed with everything we had for the horses  ??? but tbh it's a right game covering the other 12 with stuff to stop one pecking (especially when we have 2 horses, 2 cats and those to sort before leaving for work at 7am!) and it also seems a bit unfair to the other girls esp when she pecks all over now not just one place - can't hardly coat 12 chooks in vaseline in this sun all day so they can't preen  :(  they'd be roasted with their feathers on

Will try to get some beak clips ordered today - can't find any locally!

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 11:14 »
miller where abouts in south lincs are you? I live just outside Donington on the A52 and could let you have 1 of mine.
they'd be roasted with their feathers on 

Ready roasted chicken - bit like boil in the bag  :lol: :lol:
joy xx

Miller

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 11:57 »
I'm near just the other side of Holbeach to you - will have a go getting some today and if not might hav eto take you up on the offer - thanks  :)

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 12:37 »
you'd be more than welcome  :D

Miller

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 17:19 »
Aargh - where do I find this ring things?  Only place I can find is Solways for a 1000 rings and you need a tool at 28 quid to put it on

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 17:43 »
Hi Miller, what I meant to type was the Domestic fowl trust - www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk
which is where mine came from 8 for £1 but they did take a few days to come, so if you are desperate just pm me and I'll give you my address.
joyfullxx

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 17:08 »
Hi miller did you manage to get any beak clips?

urban-chickens

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 17:09 »
i have been told that a sprinkle of poultry spice helps?

how ture i don't know?

Miller

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 13:52 »
Sorry not been on for a while - have ordered the rings, got some feather peck spray and at the moment they are still separated - going to separate them from the flock for a whole week and then let them be bottom of the pecking order!

Only problem now is that they will have to go back with all the others as the younger girls house had red mite in it and he been re-creosoted (lovely stinky job!) so all the others are sleeping together after a night of powedering them  ;)

Going to re-creosote again on saturday and when it is dry Poultry Shield it all (I Will kill the little sods!)

Once that's sorted the pecking pair can go back in with the others! 

xx
feather pecking

Started by ken2 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 14:37
by chooksbury
xx
feather pecking

Started by robinson on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 09:11
by chickenlady
xx
Feather pecking

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 08, 2015, 10:08
by Frizzle1
xx
Feather pecking

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2016, 19:41
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 33 queries.