Laying away

• 6 Replies

JudyLou

Laying away
« on: September 27, 2010, 11:14 »
Hi there! This is my first post but have been reading for the last 2 months since I started chicken keeping. So pleased to have found such a helpful forum.

Anyway, I have had Bob and Dave now for 3 months - both Amber Stars and Dora and Kiev for a month - think they are some kind of ranger. Bob has been giving me eggs everyday for about a month but I had found nothing from her in the nestbox for the last few days. Dora has been laying every other day or so for a couple of weeks but nothing in the nestbox for a couple of days either.

Yesterday afternoon when I went to give them a bit of corn, I couldn't find Bob. Eventually found her hiding in the corner of the garden behind a bush! When she eventually moved I found a stash of eggs! I gather this is called "laying away". I gathered all the eggs and thought that might be the end of it, but this morning I found another. It's not too much of a problem as I have found them, but is it ok for her to be laying there and not in thenestbox? Should I try and make her lay in the nestbox? If so, how?

Thanks, J xx

bantam novice

Re: Laying away
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:51 »
Hello JudyLou, welcome to the forum  :) 
There are many more experienced people than me here so they may add or change and chip in.
If Bob (love the name!) is laying away and has a stash of eggs she may be on the point of going broody.  My gut feeling would be to keep removing the eggs but be aware that she may find another secret place to lay away.  As the days get shorter and colder she may stop laying altogether.
I would not be inclined to force her into the nest box unless she is not going into the coop at night and staying on her eggs.  In that case I would pick her up and put her on the perch in the coop.  There are other measures you can take if a hen goes broody but I won't go into that now or this will become a doctoral dissertation!
Good Luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 13:21 »
Hello JudyLou, welcome welcome. There is very little you can do if your hen is laying out/laying away. You can of course just keep collecting from that place and not mind, you could put a dummy egg there and in the egg boxes to encourage them to lay in the egg boxes or the hiding place. As metioned by bantam novice she may well find another secret place so really all you can do is keep vigilant. I have a few of my 40 free range hens do this. I do have a few regular places to look but I'm also quite sure there are several undiscovered clutches in the hedgerow from over the years. I try to be pragmatic and work on the basis that my hens are my almost pets that happen to give me a wonderful gift in retun for their care and if I can't find the gifts that's my look out! Happy hen keeping. ::)

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 15:36 »
One hens have found a place they like to lay it is difficult to break them of it.

If you wish them to lay in the nest box, try putting a pot egg (or a golf ball will do!) in the nest box.  You will also have to block all access to the previous nesting site.  At the beginning of this spring I had to relocate a nesting site as I created a chicken pen in my garden.  I thnk it took about 3 weeks before the hens stopped mounting a full scale assault climbing over and under tings to get to their old nesting place and started nesting in MY preferred place!

JudyLou

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 19:51 »
Thank you so much for all your help, I appreciate the advice and the reassurance. It's nice to have found people with more knowledge and experience - my friends and family think I'm mad!

Thankfully Dora has gone back to laying in the nestbox. None if them seem interested in sitting on the eggs, so hopefully no broodys.

While I'm here I have another little question - one of my chooks seems to have an "underbite" - it's almost as though someone has nipped a small bit of her beak off. Is this normal? She seems to be eating and drinking well. Will it grow back? Would the breeder have done this, could she have been born like this or could it happen by accident? Thanks everyone xx

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 21:34 »
I wouldn't worry about your hens underbite unless she is!

By the way your not mad just eccentric an entirely British attribute...that's what I tell people anyway..ha! :lol:

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 01:14 »
Thank you so much for all your help, I appreciate the advice and the reassurance. It's nice to have found people with more knowledge and experience - my friends and family think I'm mad!

Thankfully Dora has gone back to laying in the nestbox. None if them seem interested in sitting on the eggs, so hopefully no broodys.

While I'm here I have another little question - one of my chooks seems to have an "underbite" - it's almost as though someone has nipped a small bit of her beak off. Is this normal? She seems to be eating and drinking well. Will it grow back? Would the breeder have done this, could she have been born like this or could it happen by accident? Thanks everyone xx

Not sure where you got your hens from, but battery hens are often "de-beaked" where a portion is clipped off to prevent them pecking each other as they are kept in such intensive conditions. Could this be part of your bird's history? Also I have read that some breeders do it to persistent and vicious peckers to protect their other birds. I'm not sure but I don't think it grows back.

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
Laying outside the box

Started by EggBound on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 09:34
by EggBound

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 29 queries.