Ill chook

• 20 Replies

koo

Ill chook
« on: May 08, 2010, 18:40 »
Hi there, Its a bit of a long winded one but i would really appreciate your opinions and advice  :) I am quite new to chickens and i am learning fast but want to make sure i am not missing anything.

roughly a month ago a brought 2 warrens 1 welsummer bantam and i pekin. The beak was wet on one of the warrens but we bought her anyway as my son had chosen her and she looked well and bright. Within a few days she went down hill and started to smell and she was exchanged for another warren. She came and also got ill so i took her back and didn't take anymore as i wanted to make sure that the others would be ok. Although they have been ok and eating drinking ect (only the pekin is laying) they have all been wheezing and had slight colds. However today the warren has bubbles in one eye and is moping  :( I understand this to be mycoplasma bactaria and i know it can be treated with tylan or terramycin in the water but my question is would you treat with this at this stage as i have been told that i should just leave them to build immunaty to it. I fear i have brought my girls with a slight case of this but i am worried have they will suddenly all go down hill and ??? who knows  :(

also i have read that once they have this illness it makes them weak and not good layers ect.... any advice would be so welcome. also any ideas for tonics and pick me ups for my poor girls would be so welcome.

please help i dont want to do the wrong thing but i am finding the advice very confusing

many thanks kelly x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Ill chook
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 19:59 »
treat all your birds now. The ones with mycoplasma (not all will have it) will be infected for life and in times of stress it will flare up again. It has no bearing on their ability to lay eggs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

koo

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 21:10 »
Thank you so much for your quick reply. What do you recommend i treat with and should i treat them all. Should i separate the warren with the bubble eye even though they are all wheezy. What is the difference between a cold and mycoplasma, i thought this was the medical term for a cold in chickens.

Thank you so much again x

koo

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 22:02 »
Oh dear i have been searching mycoplasma on here and google and its not good is it  :(

What is the difference between a cold and mycoplama (how will i know what ones have it)
Also i was hoping to separate the pekin and add more pekins to a new run but would this be fair now as i wouldn't want to condem any new chickens to this. Oh gosh i am so upset ..l love these girls but i feel very upset that they have probably been sold to me like this and now this will affect any plans i had to add to my flock in future.

If anyone has any more advice i would love to hear from you. Is it as bad as it seems  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 22:04 »
Chickens don't catch colds !

They can have a number of respiratory infections but not the common cold.

koo

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 22:29 »
ok so do you think they all have mycoplasma. If so i will treat them all but what should i treat them with! I will contact the supplier again. I take it i shouldn't bring any new chooks here now  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 22:37 »
It could be mycoplasma.

Tylan is the best antibiotic to treat it but you will have to get a vet to prescribe it.  Once they have mycoplasma they never get rid of it and it can reoccur again.

Best not to bring any other birds in while they have active symptoms.  The accommodation and run will need a thorough sanitising too.

koo

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 22:47 »
this is as bad as i am thinking it is then, what would you guys do in this situation. should i try to take these poor girls back , sterilise, wait a few weeks and start again. my poor girls. i dont want to dump them but i dont want chooks that are going to be constantly ill, infecting one other. I had a feeling i wasn't being told the full picture. Please tell me what i should do  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 22:50 »
Take them back if you can and go to a different supplier.

You will have to sterilise really well. (others will tell you how)

It may be better if you can move their run to a different piece of land too.

koo

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 23:11 »
Thank you so much x

Can anyone advice on the correct way to sterilise to get rid of this. I can move the eglu off this area and should i treat this area with a strong solution of jeyes.

Thank you again for helping me. I feel awful, absolutely gutted that this has happened. Don't even want to think about giving these poor girls back. I'm really upset that they have been sold with this. I feel responsible for them now and dont want to give them back but others around here have chooks as well oh dear...so upset.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 23:33 »
Well, it's good luck that you have an eglu (or is it a cube) as that will be easy to sterilise unlike a wooden coop.

Someone will be around (bit late today but maybe tomorrow) who will tell you how to cleans the land. 

koo

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 23:44 »
THANK YOU! It may be worth mentioning that i have 2 little grower pekins that i have been keeping separate in the garage. However they have been in a run in the garden once while the others were free-ranging and they were in contact with each other. Should they also go back.

Thank you everyone for your advice ...i really appreciate it x x

lisa80

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 08:07 »
If it was me and you feel they were probably sold to you unwell take them back.I would hose down your eglu with either jeyes or sometimes i use dettol,all feeders and drinkers need a good scrub too .move the house and run to a new patch of grass ,when i move the my coop i usually mow whats left of the grass pick up pooh and sprinkle stalosan or vikron powder on the area.hope this helps :)

koo

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 09:35 »
Thanks Lisa  :) Thats really helpful. x x

hillfooter

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 11:18 »
Hi Koo,

Sorry to maybe contradict what the others have said to date but I'm not convinced your chickens have Mycoplasmosis (or MG some times called Chronic Respiratory Disease).  The smell is usually a characteristic of Infectious Coryza another respiratory disease which has similar symptoms to MG and it's otherwise very similar in character to MG. However a correct diagnosis might affect choice of antibiotic.  Coryza usually has rapid onset one day your bird maybe perfectly OK but 24 to 48 hrs later it can have very bad cold like symptoms.  MG has similar symptoms but has much slower onset a week or more.  MG is often called stress disease as it is brought on by stress and chx can carry it without showing symptoms.  Coryza is highly contagious and has a characteristic smell and like MG chx can also be carriers.  As Aunt Sally says chx don't get the common cold.  I'd ask the vet to give me Baytril rather than another a/b as this is effective against both Coryza and MG  (not sure about Tylan which also maybe).

Infected birds will suffer from reduced egg production even after treatment with a/bs though this is more of concern to egg producers than back garden poultry.

Checkout "My Chicken Has a Cold" for a description of both these diseases.  http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page22.htm.  Google "Chronic Respiratory disease in chickens" and  "Coryza in chickens".

If you bought your birds from a well run supplier they may have been vaccinated against CRD and Coryza (though commercial chx aren't vaccinated as this reduces production) and in any case they certainly shouldn't have been showing symptoms so I'd take them back if possible and get a refund.  Re your Pekins I'd keep them isolated and under observation for three weeks.  If they were from a different source they may not be affected.

The good news is that MG and Coryza is relatively easy to eliminate as it doesn't live long off a bird.  Wash out all equipment with a detergent (any will do including fairy liquid and spray with a disinfectant.  I wouldn't use Jeyes on a plastic house.  It's OK for use on the ground but I'd prefer Vanodine V18 which is an iodine based disinfectant and is very effective on soiled surfaces there's a powder called Stalosan F which can be used for the ground too,  Poultry Shield is a spray disinfectannt specially produced for bird houses but I don't use this personally as it's expensive and with an Eglu ordinary detergent and any disifectant spray is fine.  Leave the housing for three weeks if possible (theoretically 1 week should do) before reintroducing birds and all will be well.  

Next time inspect the birds well and if ANY show signs of depression or running noses or sneezing, (hold them up to you ear and listen for signs of rattling known as rales),  or dirty bottoms don't buy any.  Don't be affraid to ask questions about the stock, where were they reared how long have they had them, what vaccinations have they had, how do they ensure health stock etc.  This is especially important for dealers selling hybrids as they handle birds in bulk commercially and often don't keep them long so you need to rely on thow fussy they are about obtaining healthy stock.  Pure breeds from enthusiasts are different they won't have much throughput will rear the birds themselves and if they appear concerned and caring and the stock well looked after it's a good sign.  Pure breeds from an enthusiast often won't be vaccinated at all as they aren't breed intensively and are often just the keepers excess breeding stock not bred for commercial purposes.

Best of luck
HF
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:40 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
Chook with bad leg??????

Started by rgp5454 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 19:38
by muntjac
xx
Ill chook :-(

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 13:39
by ANHBUC
xx
Chook run

Started by denbo73 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2007, 17:23
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 29 queries.