Manure and Root Veg

• 9 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Manure and Root Veg
« on: December 29, 2010, 22:08 »
The convention says not to put manure on root crops.

I read somewhere that the "clumps" of manure are difficult for the tap root to penetrate, and that causes the roots to fork; I read elsewhere that the richness is the problem.

So what do you feed Carrots with?  For example, I have some 50:50 old potting compost and sharp sand that I used in pots for the Carrots last year. Worked well, but the Carrots weren't all that fat (might be because they were quite crowded). Should I be feeding them with something? I'm already being stingy with the water so the roots hunt downwards - its amazing they bother to give me a harvest at all!

I'm tempted to mulch the Parnsips with well rotted manure once they are well under way - what do you think? (Some folk on here have said they just manure the Parsnip bed along with all their other beds and get good results ... I wasn't planning on going that far though!)

Last Spring I made planting holes with a bulb planter at least a foot deep, and filled them with fine soil, and 20% or so of my Parsnips have come up looking like gloves nonetheless - as they do every year (whether I have made planting holes, or not ...)

What methods do you recommend?

Trillium

Re: Manure and Root Veg
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 23:27 »
I must admit that I manure my root veg beds every year with a lot of chicken manure, working it into the soil, and I get lovely straight roots. The parsnips grew so long that I could barely pull them out of my clay soil. I personally don't mulch or top dress root crops with manure or compost, but I've learned that I get better results by hilling them up slightly as I would with potatoes. Beets, onions, carrots, parsnips seem to thrive better and have fewer carrot fly problems. But in the UK I think enviromesh is still the best defense against carrot fly.

It's not always a matter of whether or not you manure your soil, it's more a matter of how much rubble, particularly small stones, you have in your soil. Once a root comes close to even a small pebble, it will fork around it. In a previous garden I went to the trouble of putting the root row through a sieve and was amazed at how many stones I gathered. Amazed because I thought the row stone free. After that, the carrots and such were fine.

If you can't manage to sieve your soil, then growing root crops in large pots, etc might be a better way for you. Also, carrots really do need some regular water to do well and being stingy isn't always good. Another potential problem could be the alkalinity of your tap water, so if possible try to use neutral rain water.

And it just occurred to me re your parsnips - are you direct seeding them or transplanting? If transplanting, then you're guaranteed to grow gloves. Even a bit of root jiggling in eg. paper pots will cause forking. I always direct seed mine as early as possible then put fleece over the seeded area against frost. By the time all frost is past, the tops are up and fleece comes off. Any empty spots are quickly reseeded and topped with a bit of straw to keep birds off.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:37 »
I've been growing parsnips and carrots for nigh on 40 years.

I have NEVER fed them in the growing year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

savbo

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:23 »
...my Parsnips have come up looking like gloves nonetheless - as they do every year (whether I have made planting holes, or not ...)

What methods do you recommend?

did you sow direct into the soil or transplant them? I chitted an old packet of parsnips and was delighted with the germination rate and the lush growth, but they're coming up like Dali's veg plot, due to the damage to the baby root system

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:37 »
Yes, Newspaper pots (tall though, 6" - 7") planted out at the first true leaf stage into holes prepared with bulb planter and filled with fine soil.

The proportion of "gloves" has never varied much over the years. I used to direct sow - and live with the gaps and worry over whether they would get around to germinating before it was too late to plant replacements (and the hassle of weeding when young).

So, personally, I don't think that newspaper pots has made any differences - I only get one or two in ten that are gloves - and they are large enough to be useful - in fact the Chef tells me that the Fingers are useful as no central woody core to cut out :)

DD: are your carrots benefiting from crop rotation or do you think "just sow them and water" will work for my Carrots reusing the same soil and pots?  There must be something I do to nourish them surely?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 10:49 »
Quote from: carrotmuseum.co.uk

They do not require much feeding. Land that has been composted or manured for a previous crop is preferred.

So yes, they're benefiting from crop rotation.

Next year's will be going in where the courgettes & marrows were this year

purplebean

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:44 »
savbo my parships were the same, looked incredibly lush and when I furtled had a really lovely white shoulder of a decent size. Dug them up on Christmas eve to discover that they went down about 2 inches and then were a mass of curled roots. Still had enough for Christmas dinner but I have been reading eveything I have on them and I have decided that they were in the roottrainers for too long which damaged the root and casued it to fork and grow in circles. You live and learn, they tasted delicious though  :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 14:26 »
I have decided that they were in the roottrainers for too long which damaged the root and casued it to fork and grow in circles

Personally I wouldn't grow them in anything so restrictive, even for a short time - and there are plenty who will say not to transplant them at all.

The newspaper pots I use are 6" - 7" deep, and I plant out as soon as the first true leaf appears (i.e. the plants are tiny!!), from previous experience if I leave them any longer the tap root will already out of the bottom of the "pots"

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 15:08 »
Snips/Carrots fork for one of two reasons, either they hit something hard that they cannot get through, or the ground has too much nitrogen.

The reason that Parsnip roots are so long is that they are trying to get as much nutrients as possible, and they do this by getting down where shallow rooted plants can;t reach.  If the soil is too rich, they don't need to dig as deep, so they stop and just grow another root where it knows the soil can feed it.  They then end up looking like something from District 9.

If they hit something solid (usually a stone) then the same thing happens.  The plant cannot burrow any deeper to feed itself, so another root will grow to get nice and deep.  

You can tell the difference quite easily and identify what the problem was.  If the soil is rich then you end up with a nice thick top half, which gives way to several weaker shorter roots.  If it has hit an obsticle, then the root will divide and then continue nice and deep.  Both are still perfectly usable.

I always pre-germante and plant into tubes.  The longer the better.  When they reach 3 leaf stage, I plant out into a pre-prepared hole and firm in.  Ones where the plants show a tap rot at the bottom will fork, and are a nightmare to dig out whole without snapping.

purplebean

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 15:10 »
I have decided that they were in the roottrainers for too long which damaged the root and casued it to fork and grow in circles

Personally I wouldn't grow them in anything so restrictive, even for a short time - and there are plenty who will say not to transplant them at all.

The newspaper pots I use are 6" - 7" deep, and I plant out as soon as the first true leaf appears (i.e. the plants are tiny!!), from previous experience if I leave them any longer the tap root will already out of the bottom of the "pots"

It was the first time I have ever grown parsnips, I won't make the same mistake next year  :happy:

xx
Green Manure and Root Crops!

Started by Dirty Fingers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 20:59
by DD.
xx
Green Manure with Root Veggies?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 17:41
by strangerachael
xx
Club root spores in manure?

Started by veggieman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 21:17
by DD.
xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 35 queries.