Good news on dog microchipping

• 18 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

spottymint

Re: Good news on dog microchipping
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 09:47 »
Bit flawed though, how many people won't bother ?

You are meant to have a driving license & insurance for driving, how many don't bother with that ?

Look at Thrifts Bessie, she was chipped, but the new owner never updated the details.

I admit, it's good for decent owners, but not the "Status" dog type's.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:14 »
very often dogs end up in rescues and even though they are chipped the details on the records have not been kept up to date - they change their phone numbers and move house. This is not always because they don't want their dogs but because with moving they forget about updating their details.
Staffies are softer than you think.

dugless

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:31 »
Probably another of those Idealism over practicality laws that we get alot of these days. ::)

Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 12:11 »
Yes, it's easy to be cynical on this one. As per it will be the law abiding folks who follow the rules and those that don't won't.  We have to hope though that it will encourage folks to be more careful

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 12:36 »
Possibly people do forget to update their details when they move, but they don't forget to inform the utility companies or their bank or council, do they? It was stated on the radio this morning that people don't know how to update their details. Its not that difficult. Anything that helps, I think is worth trying and obviously the vets will be out to make sure they check the details on every dog they see. Does that mean people will stop taking their dog to the vet if for some reason they don't want an identifiable dog?

Yes it would probably be better to go back to a one off licence purchase to go with the dog, say £100.00 upfront before the purchase price of the dog. That would make people think properly about getting a dog, who maybe hadn't thought...

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 12:44 »
Thay already run compulsory microchipping in northern Ireland.

I guess those of you expressing deep cynicism to this news have not seen the constantly run TV adverts there stating "It's nicer to neuter". :D These have been running a lot longer than the microchipping has been in force. They must think it a worthwhile exercise to keep telling people. ;)

Agatha

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 13:21 »
Nice idea, but not sure if it will work - after all, you are already supposed to have your name, address and contact number on an id tag, but I know loads of people who don't bother with that or who don't even know they are supposed to do this.Their vets never mention it when they visit, so would the vets bother with non-micropchipped dogs either?

Much better idea would be to make it mandatory for anyone scanning a microchipped dog to report if that the dog is not with the person registered on the microchip database.  It makes me mad that if I lost Bonnie, someone could pick her up, decide to keep her and even though the vet would know that person was not her owner, he/she would not have the right to do anything about it. 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Oliveview

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 14:36 »
Here is Spain all dogs, cats and ferrets have to be microchipped and rabies jabbed.....  so how come out of all the dogs we have at the refuge just 1 was found to have been chipped?  And that owner had not reported her missing- he had ´loaned´ her to another person to breed with her (she was a special type of small spaniel) we fought not to get her sent back, but we had to let her go back, even though we knew she was being used as a breeding machine. 
Our neighbours think we are stupid getting the dogs and cats ´done´and chipped.

Pamela

yaxley

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 19:32 »
Hi i am the owner of 2 lurchers do i have to have them microchipped as they are both tattooed in there ears i had this done as im not too keen on the microchips and think the tattoos are more visible as you dont need a scanner to read it ...
Grow organic as nature intended

snow white

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 16:29 »
Its funny, but I have always had my dogs microchipped.  I care too much about them not to.  If they ever went missing, they could be found (i hope so anyway).  It was very strange to have all this debate on something I have done for years anyway. ::)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 16:58 »
Its funny, but I have always had my dogs microchipped.  I care too much about them not to. 

Precisely. :D

spottymint

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 14:06 »
Hi i am the owner of 2 lurchers do i have to have them microchipped as they are both tattooed in there ears i had this done as im not too keen on the microchips and think the tattoos are more visible as you dont need a scanner to read it ...

Yep, they will have to be microchipped.

I have no problem with dogs being chipped, mine were, as are all my cat's as standard.

Just can't see how it can be enforced, people who can't be bothered to chip, so doubt most will take their pets to the vet either, so routine scanning at the vet won't always help.

I heard a story the other day, people keep getting new pet's, 3 weeks later they dump them in the woods when they can no longer be bothered.

So far a tarantula, ferrets, a beardie will be next followed by a husky no doubt.  :mad:

yaxley

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 23:56 »
What bothers me about micro chipping is i have read things about them migrating under the skin and one dog ending up with the chip lodged in a joint and it having to have a operation to sort it out ..Thats why i thought i would be ok as mine have tattoos so there still identifiable ....

spottymint

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 12:52 »
Yeah, have heard of migrating too, the vet who done one of our cat's checked for chips (stray- well sort of, owner knew she had moved out & they moved away) said her friends cat had it's chip migrate down by her elbow.

Our eldest cat, done by cat's protection lady has stayed put, you can feel it like a grain of rice, the others (vet), nothing can be felt.

xx
PACO IS ADOPTED ... YES I AM SHOUTING THE GOOD NEWS!- now bad news

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

45 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 15:38
by Oliveview
xx
Good News Bad News

Started by cissie on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 15:14
by cissie
xx
Hopefully 2 good news stories

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2012, 18:27
by Oliveview
xx
News from the refuge

312 Replies
Last post November 22, 2016, 09:52
by Aled

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 39 queries.