Germination times for chilli and aubergine

• 6 Replies

jaws8

• I used to be indecisive, but now I'm just not sure
Germination times for chilli and aubergine
« on: March 11, 2009, 16:52 »
Howdoo,

Iv'e got loads of seeds in old loo rolls starting off in the airing cupboard. They went in 10 days ago and all the toms are already sprouting  :). My aubs,chillis & sweet peppers have no signs of germinating and wanted to know if this was the norm. I keep reading about seeds rotting and was a bit concerened.

abraidwood

Re: Germination times for chilli and aubergine
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 17:52 »
With chillis it can depend on the variety.  I've had some sprout in as little as a week, others haven't done anything until I've assumed they're not going to germinate & reused the compost - maybe a couple of months!

"wild" varieties can take ages.

funkydelia

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 18:40 »
I'm glad someone's posted on this. I planted chilli seeds a couple of weeks ago and they're not showing signs of doing anything yet! Pumpkins, cucumbers and tomatoes all planted at the same time are showing signs of life but nothing from the chillis.
They are Joes Long F1 but I've not planted chillis before and wondering if its maybe too cold on my kitchen windowsill. They do have plastic bottle cloches over them though.
Any thoughts?

abraidwood

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 08:48 »
Everywhere I've read says chillis germinate best at temps in the high 20's.

I got a little 8 watt heated propagator which gave a temp of 28C.  The seeds in there germinated after only a week while the seeds in the unheated one (at about 20C) took 2-3 weeks.  However, after about 6 weeks, all the seedlings are the same size - I think this is down to the amount of light... of course my espanhol and aci sivri haven't shown any sign of life in either propagator.

I wouldn't worry if your chillis haven't appeared after a couple of weeks, they're probably fine.  Joes Long is an annuum, so I think its time to fruit isn't too long (compared to something like a scotch bonnet)

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:50 »
I sowed my 13 types of chillies 3 weeks ago in unheated propagators and all but 2 types have come through. Congo Black nada and still no sign of my Bhut Jolokia either. Strange though that the Dorset Naga half germinated and I expected none :)

Funkydelia, I would cover them with a cling film or a freezer bag rather than a bottle to try and increase the heat inside to germinate them. Stick them near a radiator (until they germinate) but make sure they are kept moist.

spottymint

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 15:53 »
hi

My book surgests 14-21 days for pepper/chilli to germinate.

I have several types (jalapeno, peter pepper, sweet pepper,ancho grande,habenero,prairie fire) and after about 14 days in a heated propergator, only a few are showing life today. They seem the slowest to germinate by far. (aubergines sown the same time are up)

Some are not even showing (ancho grande) and some like peter pepper only 1 out of 3.

Be patient, like sandgit has surgested, a bag will help and as soon as you see them sprout move into the light to prevent them growing leggy.

jaws8

• I used to be indecisive, but now I'm just not sure
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 20:35 »
Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

xx
germination times

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 17:34
by flowerlady
xx
Germination times

Started by muddywellies on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 11:48
by Snap Dragon
xx
Bean germination times?

Started by Hawthorne on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 07:24
by gobs
xx
Actual seed germination times

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 12:01
by JayG

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 38 queries.