Gardener's Delight Tomato Bush or straight?

• 9 Replies

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
« on: June 04, 2008, 16:06 »
Is is best to cut off side shoots for Gardener's Delight Tomatoes or allow them to get bushy.

Also is it too early for them to be flowing? mine have started flowing! they are currently in a greenhouse with allot of ventilation so they don't get too hot, moved from an indoor position. next step was going to be planting out, but will see what you guys think about them flowering before doing anything..
http://www.websiteevo.com/veg_patch.jpg[/img]
3nd Year @ organic vegetable gardening & forest gardening
----------------------------------

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 16:18 »
Yes, remove sideshoots on GD toms. Flowering at this stage is not a problem, start feeding with tom feed or comfrey tea etc. I keep mine in the GH, they're doing ok ... no flowers yet, though some plants I gave to a work colleague are floweiring. She also has them in the GH.
Happy gardening  :D

tweeky

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 16:25 »
Hi WSE

My advice would be to remove side shoots as they appear and restrict the plant to one main stem.

If it is flowering to early, just nip them off. Too many trusses is a bad thing. I have some alicante outdoors they started flowering way too soon, so I just nipped out the buds to let them grow on a bit.

Also, when you have 4 or five trusses, you can remove a lot of leafy branches. They only take the feed and water away from the fruit.

That's my advice anyway. :roll:

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 20:53 »
I was under the impression that gardeners delight can be grown as a bush !
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

tweeky

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 21:05 »
Yea they can be bush or cordon, I assumed as they were GH plants they would be cordon, but regarding pinching out the axle shoots, that still stands which ever type.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 21:39 »
They grew very well in window boxes for me last year.

The thing is, most tomato are bush, smaller or bigger, less or more rampant, except for true vines of several metres climbing and still going like grapes.

Instructions on this are about making the most of them on a short summer and contradict for that reason.

But on the happy note, all can be pruned and so should be in a gh environment, for practical reasons.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 21:49 »
I have grown G Delight for many years but always as cordon and always in the greenhouse.
One of the benefits of this variety is that the fruits ripen in succession as well as being the best flavour of all tomatoes. I did not like tomatoes at all until at the age of 18 (40 years ago) I first tasted G.D. It was a revelation.

tweeky

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 22:19 »
One I used to grow, then couldn't get the seeds anymore...although I think you can get them mail order these days Is 'Sub Arctic Plenty'...they stand up very well against GD. Especially if your climate is less warm or sunny. Out door plants yea.

No pinching out...great taste, extremely prolific and again you can plant them in hanging baskets etc, but only one plant per 12 inch basket.

You will be getting toms from them, much earlier than other varieties.

So am going to try growing some later in the year, to produce fruit when GD have finished.

Next year I shall make an early sowing (Green house or indoors of course) as they can then be hardened off and planted out before GD and then a later sowing for end of season.

Pretty sure they are F1 hybrids.

Did you know, that raw tomatoes, which I love are not as good for you as cooked tomatoes.
Referring now to the anti cancer gene they have etc.

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 22:45 »
thanks guys. well I have decided to remove the axis shoots and in doing so discovered some baby tomatoes :D.. I think maybe its a little early and maybe they should of grown some more before flowering and fruiting but they look healthy so I am well pleased.

tweeky

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 23:55 »
Great.

We all learn from year to year and as you are a first timer this will be your first time for everything.

So next season...you will have the benefit of experience...Yea. Just enjoy it, as its a great way of life or hobby.

xx
Tomatoes: saving seed, "volunteer" plant, probable Gardener's Delight offspring

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 27, 2022, 21:34
by mumofstig
xx
tomato gardeners delight

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 15:30
by drmoonshine
xx
Gardeners Delight Tomato

Started by chrisb1357 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:18
by sunshineband
xx
tomato gardeners delight

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 00:16
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 40 queries.