onions

• 9 Replies

kitch

onions
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:36 »
Hi this is the first time I've grown onions from seed, there about 5/6 inches high now do I leave um out for the winter or put um in a cold green house and water them when needed.
then plant um out in feb/march.
Thanks Kitch

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: onions
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:43 »
May I ask what variety they are and what it said on the seed packet?

You're way too early for "maincrop" varieties for next year. but if they are the winter (Japanese) variety, they need to go out to over-winter.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

kitch

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:41 »
There japanese are you sure there all right to leave out, didn't know they were that hardy?

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 09:51 »
Winter onions are also called Japanese so if you ever see Japenese you will know they are for winter.. They are a filler crop to use for about a month earlier than maincrop. I start to pull mine on 1st May each year and use them as green onions when they are about 3/4" in diameter.  I grow from sets but should be the same from seed..

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:53 »
They are indeed winter hardy and can in fact be sown directly outside. It should have said this on the packet.

Most sources will say, however, that you get best results from sets, rather than seed, when it comes to winter onions.

kitch

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:39 »
Would it be a good idea to put some of them in my polytunnel to get early early onions.
Anyone tried this

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 13:35 »
Would it be a good idea to put some of them in my polytunnel to get early early onions.
Anyone tried this

I wouldn't have thought growing some in the polytunnel would do any harm but you may find that they don't bulb up any earlier than those outdoors as this is triggered by the number of daylight hours.  If we have a cold wet summer like this year, a polytunnel may even give better results than those outdoors.

They are indeed winter hardy and can in fact be sown directly outside. It should have said this on the packet.

Most sources will say, however, that you get best results from sets, rather than seed, when it comes to winter onions.

In 2010 I sowed seeds in late August and in October planted sets (I wasn't too sure about the seed as I'd never tried it before)  In November we had snow and ice for 6 weeks and I was so convinced that the seedlings outdoors could not have survived such arctic conditions.  After the thaw, I found many of the sets had been lifted up and toppled over by the action of the ice and had to be replanted, but the seedlings looked perfectly fine and no losses.  When the bulbs were ready for lifting in late June, both seemed to be of about the same size and quality and I couldn't really tell them apart.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 15:53 »
It probably will help them to be protected in a tunnel.  I had some in a mesh tunnel last year, only because they were beside the cabbages that I wanted to protect, and the ones inside looked in a much better state at the end of winter, than the ones outside, but seemed about the same sized bulb when it was time to lift them.
Anne

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 18:40 »
 having set quite a few onion seed in modules in the greenhouse in late September they are now about two inches high so-wings of several varieties i have watered sparingly and are considering moving them to the polytunnel

i suppose there not going to grow to quick overwinter do i need to feed them now or leave the plants  till spring before planting out on the Lottie

also should i thin the plants out and re-pot the onion plants into bigger pots or leave them in the modules Ive sowed both bulb main crop and spring onions in modules

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 19:43 »
having set quite a few onion seed in modules in the greenhouse in late September they are now about two inches high so-wings of several varieties i have watered sparingly and are considering moving them to the polytunnel

i suppose there not going to grow to quick overwinter do i need to feed them now or leave the plants  till spring before planting out on the Lottie

also should i thin the plants out and re-pot the onion plants into bigger pots or leave them in the modules Ive sowed both bulb main crop and spring onions in modules

As said above a few times... are they winter onions? I'd assume you planted them as winterers.. So I'd get them out in the plot as they are made for winter..  spaced a bit closer than maincrop.. They will get growing then lie over winter and wake up and grow when it warms up.. they are just a filler to be used before maincrop and dont store well.. delicious as green onions..
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 19:47 by gavinjconway »

Page created in 0.597 seconds with 38 queries.