what goes in composter

• 2 Replies

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
what goes in composter
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:10 »
Don't really know how to word this so forgive me for sounding completely thick in advance!!! ???
Over my driveway hangs an oak tree and the driveway gets covered in stuff from it each spring.  Its like dried moss but its from the tree.  Does anyone know if this can go in the composter, or will I end up with an oak tree growing in there.
I have to weed the flower bed under the tree coz there are regularly little sapplings sprouting.  BUt was thinking this stuff might work like leaves in the composter??

Dreamer@45

Re: what goes in composter
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 11:23 »
Yep.......chuck it in. :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: what goes in composter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:27 »
Hmmm.. it sounds like it might be lichen?  That would be fine to put in the compost.  I have lichen on my fruit trees and every spring the birds pull it off to use in their nests.  They also leave a lot lying around under the trees so this might be what you're seeing?

Depending on your composting technique, if the contents get really hot during processing then you can put lots of stuff in it and any seeds will get killed off by the heat.  

I have a worm farm that stays cold so all kinds of things sprout in there.  I could grow an orchard from all the sprouting avocado stones.  ::)  But they never cause a problem because eventually they get crushed down and killed and the worms eat the seedlings and eventually the split/softened stone.  I don't think your compost would be in danger of growing oak trees unless you left it for about 15 years without turning it.   ;)

xx
Composter

Started by Tykelad on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 22:38
by solway cropper
xx
Tonne Bag composter

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 15, 2007, 00:29
by mkhenry
xx
Leachate from hot composter

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2021, 20:06
by Eblana
xx
Worm composter lifeless!

Started by Greengiant152 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 19:36
by azubah

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 38 queries.