Pre-chitting Parsnips

• 15 Replies

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
Pre-chitting Parsnips
« on: March 12, 2009, 21:50 »
 ??? I heard this was a good idea - is it easy to do?  I know Parsnips can be a * to germinate!
:mrgreen:   GAZ   :mrgreen:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Pre-chitting Parsnips
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 22:50 »
There's been a lot of enthusiasm for pre-chitting parsnip seeds on damp kitchen paper in a recent thread, but as parsnips are root vegetables they are not designed to be transplanted and you run the risk of damaging the root when you transfer from paper to compost / soil.

Might be worth doing a bit of each (i.e. direct sowing too) if you do wish to try the pre-chitted method.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 23:03 »
I always do mine in toilet rolls, (end of march for me),  keep them moist and late sowed enough so that theres no huge root growth and therefore disturbance when I move them to the plot. Ive always done well with germination (famous last words) with this method.

However once grown theyve in the main looked like Grannie Annies alien carrots  :D

So I will be working on that this year  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Stripey_cat

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 14:47 »
There's been a lot of enthusiasm for pre-chitting parsnip seeds on damp kitchen paper in a recent thread, but as parsnips are root vegetables they are not designed to be transplanted and you run the risk of damaging the root when you transfer from paper to compost / soil.

Either plant them out as soon as the root shows at all, or try fluid sowing in paste.  And, of course, handle them very gently and cover carefully with sieved soil.  It certainly works with carrots!

tony e

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 17:26 »
i set mine off last year in 3inch roottrainers great results and no root disturbance i imagine toilet roll cardboard centres if kept just damp will work just as well but the paper tissue idea seems fraught with disaster root damage ,good luck in whichever way you choose to set them off ,,, tony

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 17:28 »
I am going to try Richie's paper pots this year. I thought I would pre-chit on damp kitchen paper as suggested here, but if I put them on with enough space, I could cut them out individually and put them in the pot so I won't disturb the root as the paper should disintegrate easily.  ::)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 17:57 »
I've just planted some pre-chitted parsnips today. I'll let you know how I get on.

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 19:03 »
I chitted my parsnip seeds a few weeks ago on damp tissue in a plastic container in the airing cupboard. I then sowed them in toilet roll tubes and I now have seedlings. I placed two seeds in each tube and have removed the smaller seedling. I haven't used this method before but it looks promising.

Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 19:18 »
Thought I'd try this this year too.  Germination was a bit haphazard last year but it was my first attempt at them. 

Libby

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 12:52 »
Being a novice to this, I stupidly started my parsnips in an empty strawberry box, about 4 inches deep.  Put 10 seeds in the damp compost and put the clear lid on, leaving it in the green house.  Read shortly afterwards that they didn't like the transplanting!  ::)  As they hadn't germinated within the next few weeks, shoved the box, as it was, under the shelf in greenhouse, which meant it had no light and didn't think about it again.  Germinated 8 seeds in toilet roll tubes instead.  Remembered the parsnip seed box at the weekend, thought I would empty it out.  Every seed had germinated, without light or water,  whereas when I pampered them in the toilet tubes only got a few.   ??? Carefully transplanted the seedlings into toilet roll tubes on Saturday and they haven't died yet!  Not holding my breath but hope they will be ok.  They are the same size as my other seedlings so fingers crossed.    :)

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 13:30 »
I chitted my parsnip seeds a few weeks ago on damp tissue in a plastic container in the airing cupboard. I then sowed them in toilet roll tubes and I now have seedlings. I placed two seeds in each tube and have removed the smaller seedling. I haven't used this method before but it looks promising.

Jazz

I did exactly the same as above, those that germinated I used tweezers to plant them so that I didn't break the root when I put/planted them into toilet roll tubes that I stood up in a tray.  I gently covered the seeds with compost and sprayed water over the top to settle the compost and watered from the bottom as I want the toilet roll tubes to be on the verge of disintegrating when I plant them out next week.  All the germinated seeds that I put in the toilet roll tubes have come up and are developing well.v :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 08:34 »
I wonder whether it would be worth tearing / cutting the kitchen paper into, say, 1" squares - then transplant the seedling whole (i.e. with paper) into paper / loo roll pot?

When I chit on kitchen paper I put a double folded piece over the top [of the seeds and bottom sheet] and the seeds don't cling to the top sheet, but stay on the bottom one - I don't press the top sheet down, so I expect it is barely in contact, just providing damp atmosphere.

I sowed parsnips directly in paper pots and they still haven't germinated, and its a nightmare trying to keep the surface of the pots moist.  Perhaps I could cover the surface with cling film propagator-like.  I've been putting newspaper over - but maybe they need light?

My Salsify, sown at the same time, are just as bad - only a few have come up as yet, whereas my Scorzonera were up within a couple of days.

I think I'll try chitting the remainder of the Parsnip packet - nothing to lose!

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 08:46 »
I started some off in toilet rolls in the greenhouse. They are 1" high, once  the weather dries up I shall plant them, in the rolls, in my allotment.

The parsnips I sowed direct aren't yet showing!
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 08:49 »
Sowed mine direct, a pinch of seed every 8", 3 weeks ago.

Now got nice green clumps right where I put them!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

billybullock

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 09:30 »
imho, traditionally growers have sown parsnip seed too early. I think its unfair to label them as sods to germinate.  As a boy seed packets always stated sow Jan -Mar directly, which no seed enjoys. Use fresh seed,  sow 1st 2 weeks in April, pre water and you should not have much trouble. I have always found they catch up even if sown early May. I cannot seem to have any joy germinating Sweetcorn and have come to the conclusion that there will always be crops one finds difficult and have long since stopped worrying about!

xx
Chitting parsnips

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 30, 2021, 17:23
by snowdrops
xx
chitting parsnips?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2016, 18:49
by Yorkie
xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Chitting already!!!!!

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 17:44
by Totty

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 34 queries.