Impossible weather

• 33 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: Impossible weather
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 08:50 »
I'm really fed up with this weather  >:( we held back planting our potato crop because the ground was cold and give it a chance to warm up but now every time we get ready to go down the allotments to plant our potatoes we see a black clouds coming over then it rain's or the worst  hail stones and very cold not gardening weather to plant potatoes looking back in my wife's diary we set our potatoes last year on May the 19th

and we had warm dry weather planting our spuds then so could it be we are a Month behind  are getting April showers now as this is the type of weather is usually in April stormy cold weather what i call lambing storms

and we are still having to have a fire at night thought we had finished  with the wood burner and we are having to cover all the plants up at night in the greenhouses and poly tunnel with fleece haven't looked at the long range forecast  hopefully the weather will improve  next week  :unsure:

jambop

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 08:54 »

We are past frosts now but it is still very cool  for the time of year. I have still not planted out my tomatoes and to be honest I am not too bothered because of the poor weather. Any tomatoes outside at the moment won't be liking it very much. I am getting the ground well prepped though so that they should make good progress when the do go in.

Abunndance

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 11:18 »
Three weeks later than the original post and we are STILL getting the weather from hell.  Hale, wind, cold, driving rain.  My polytunnel is at an angle now, my strawberry plants rotted off, and even the cabbage plants are in a strop.  I think this is going to be a very bad year for crops. 

Grubbypaws

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 12:58 »
I have just been looking at the met office long range weather forecast for Tuesday 25th May-Thursday 3rd June.
'Some notably chilly nights are still possible, with some late season frost possible in prone spots'  :ohmy:

al78

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 14:22 »
Looks like this is going to be the only year the UK records its highest Spring temperature in March.

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2021, 05:25 »
Just had an email from the coal company, advertising savings for buying during the summer!

We got a huge discount on a discontinued line a month or so ago, and bought a whole lot, so that we could keep it safe for September/October.

It's two-thirds gone and counting...

rowlandwells

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2021, 09:21 »
this is I must say a trying time for gardeners well it is for us frustration comes to mind and we still haven't be able to plant our late potatoes managed to plant some earlies in our raise beds and some broad beans and 4 rows of peas

the other problem is we are rammed in the greenhouse and cold frames with brassicas that are coming on fast so every thing will need planting all at once  if it ever stops raining  >:(

and we are still using the log burner when we thought we had finished with fires I'm sure we had our summer a couple of weeks ago and we are now into autumn how time flies  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2021, 09:57 »
My plants I put out for hardening-off have been so wet through that they're all back in the greenhouse and, yes our CH is still coming on in the morning and late afternoon.  :mad:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2021, 16:48 »
my greenhouse, cold frame and window sills are bursting at the seams....im hoping for a massive plant out later in the week as its (hopefully) due to get better mid week....fingers crossed ::)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2021, 17:07 »
my greenhouse, cold frame and window sills are bursting at the seams....im hoping for a massive plant out later in the week as its (hopefully) due to get better mid week....fingers crossed ::)

Me too! I was hoping to get things out tomorrow but it sounds as if it would be sensible to wait until mid week. The parsley will be fine but the PSB and courgettes are crying out to be planted.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2021, 13:57 »
I was thinking of putting out runner beans and tomatoes today but it’s still too cold and windy till midweek as Grubbypaws says. Looks like a busy day on Wednesday or Thursday depending on how the weather develops. My only hope is that all my veg actually has a long enough growing season.
Keep digging

mrs bouquet

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2021, 14:32 »
Three weeks later than the original post and we are STILL getting the weather from hell.  Hale, wind, cold, driving rain.  My polytunnel is at an angle now, my strawberry plants rotted off, and even the cabbage plants are in a strop.  I think this is going to be a very bad year for crops.
It must be really bad for the farmers as well.  I don't grow many crops now, and like to buy British when possible, but I expect the prices will have to go up.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

rowlandwells

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2021, 16:40 »
I tend to agree with you Mrs B this inclement weather is holding everyone back including the farmers although the rape and wheat crops are looking quite good round here  there are many farmers that have lost there rape crops to the flee beetle so if rape seed becomes in short supply later on in the year that will effect rape seed prices and intern the price of the rape seed oil will increase

its funny to think that only a few weeks ago farmers where struggling to get grass to grow in the fields for animals to graze and where feeding there animals with hay and animal feeds because of the dry weather now with all this rain  its helped the grass to grow but hindered other cultivation

like you Mrs B we like to buy British mainly locally produced meat because  we have managed to keep going with veg we put in our freezer last year and potatoes we stored overwinter but if we don't get some of our crops planted soon we will be struggling to stock up our freezers for next year  :(

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2021, 06:56 »
Bit the bullet yesterday after seeing the local weather forecast, and popped the outside toms in ther places in pots and trays, then loosely covered them with clear plastic, pegged to the wall.

They seem fine this morning, despite a lot more rain and a bit of a chill night...

The runners have been in for a week now, in the open, and also have got going well, so fingers still well and truly crossed for the next day or so before we're supposed to expect warmer weather!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2021, 10:15 »
From latest posts, it seems like the weather is turning for the better for all of you at last, far behind schedule, but at least it seems to be improving.

I wish all of you some warm days ahead and rain when you need it!  Knocking wood!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Mission Impossible : Evergreen Climber that Fruits ....

Started by DaveJNeal on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 20:38
by nobby
xx
bad weather.

Started by mrpotatohead on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 10:19
by Yorkie
xx
Weather

Started by BostonInbred on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 20:08
by Missy1970
xx
weather

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 16, 2012, 12:10
by Amilo

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 53 queries.