Impossible weather

• 33 Replies

Grubbypaws

Impossible weather
« on: May 04, 2021, 16:28 »
Heavy rain forecast until well after dark with strong winds.....and then a frost during the night! My potatoes need protection from the frost (they have already got a bit nipped) so I have put the fleece over them but have no idea how the fleece will fair in the heavy rain  :(

Wind, rain and frost is not playing fair  >:(

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
Re: Impossible weather
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 16:50 »
Terrible weather, 3 of my overwintered broad beans all snapped off during winds last night, full of very young beans as well  >:(

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 18:25 »
The weather is causing problems everywhere.
Had to replace the cover over my broccoli this afternoon and cross my fingers that my fruit cage withstands the gusts of wind forecast for the next few days. I’m sure it’s meant to be March winds not May winds. Not sure when I will be confident to plant the seedlings currently in the conservatory. I would normally try to harden them off but the cold wind is stopping that.
Good luck all
HH
Keep digging

al78

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 19:09 »
You have potatoes to protect, lucky you. Not one of my 60 or so potatoes showed itself. Not one carrot seedling showed itself. My allotment looks like December when it should be brimming with life now. I sowed 40 French beans indoors, a mere nine germinated. Looks like 2021 is going to be the year of the catastrophic mega crop failure for me. If these destructive locked in weather patterns are a manifestation of a new climate, I think I will leave the agriculture to the professionals who know what they are doing far more than me.

jambop

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 19:35 »
You have potatoes to protect, lucky you. Not one of my 60 or so potatoes showed itself. Not one carrot seedling showed itself. My allotment looks like December when it should be brimming with life now. I sowed 40 French beans indoors, a mere nine germinated. Looks like 2021 is going to be the year of the catastrophic mega crop failure for me. If these destructive locked in weather patterns are a manifestation of a new climate, I think I will leave the agriculture to the professionals who know what they are doing far more than me.

It is the same all over I think. I know my garden is at least a couple of weeks behind normal. Our early spring has been dry and cold for the most part so even with the sunshine the cold winds have taken the good away. I was talking with the farmer along the road and he just said nothing will grow well in cold dry conditions grazing for cattle at the moment is like a garden lawn where it would normally be 45 cm high at this time of year.

al78

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 20:39 »

It is the same all over I think. I know my garden is at least a couple of weeks behind normal. Our early spring has been dry and cold for the most part so even with the sunshine the cold winds have taken the good away. I was talking with the farmer along the road and he just said nothing will grow well in cold dry conditions grazing for cattle at the moment is like a garden lawn where it would normally be 45 cm high at this time of year.

Yes, one of my sisters lives in a farmhouse in Shropshire and she said during April the grass wasn't growing, so not good for lambs. I've just started climbing beans and squash in small pots indoors so am banking on the weather improving in a fortnight/three weeks. If it doesn't, we might be looking at one of the worst springs for decades. The weather is bound to warm up at some point, I don't believe 2021 will end up the year without a summer.

PhilConnors

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 08:33 »
I'm looking for the positives -
we all seem to be having the same struggles
Better to have a horrid April than a horrid June
there's still time to sow replacements

err that's about it

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 08:46 »
The hail storm we had a couple of days ago, clobbered lots of stuff under debris netting to harden off...

I think the commercial fruit growers are finding it very tough already too! Some are using 'frostbusters' (hot blowers) to keep the cold at bay, which is time-consuming as well as expensive!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 08:55 »
Woke to snow on the hills! The fleece over the potatoes didn't blow away but is frozen solid with ice puddles. No idea what I will find underneath but my apple tree definitely didn't fair too well  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 09:03 »
I think the commercial fruit growers are finding it very tough already too! Some are using 'frostbusters' (hot blowers) to keep the cold at bay, which is time-consuming as well as expensive!
Just when we really don't want to import more than we have to....

Grubbypaws

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 12:15 »
Todays forecast is for showers falling as sleet over the hills with hail at lower levels. Showers dying away this evening with a widespread sharp frost. Minimum temperature -3C!!!  :( >:( :mad:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 15:07 »

Regarding a new climate, although I personally think climate change is real, I think what we are currently seeing is just inclement weather (short term) rather than climate (long-term, over years or decades).  We are having unusual weather here as well, with a freeze in early April (keep in mind my location; it is very unusual for here, but not unheard of), and nights down to 2 C in late April. 

I hope you keep gardening, some years are worse (or better) than others!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

al78

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 15:29 »

Regarding a new climate, although I personally think climate change is real, I think what we are currently seeing is just inclement weather (short term) rather than climate (long-term, over years or decades).  We are having unusual weather here as well, with a freeze in early April (keep in mind my location; it is very unusual for here, but not unheard of), and nights down to 2 C in late April. 

I hope you keep gardening, some years are worse (or better) than others!

I think it is more than just "inclement weather" (which can be used to dismiss anything). It is a locked in weather pattern that has persisted for five weeks and shows no sign of letting up. Whilst locked in weather patterns caused by blocking patterns have happened before, the UK seems to be getting them more and more often in recent decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqgu0oorz2U&ab_channel=comedyhypnotist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-aa-F8n-ao&t=175s&ab_channel=Channel4News
followed by this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2-MLL6NFJ4&ab_channel=StoriesMyStyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtGNMN4tMhU&ab_channel=LiamDutton-Weatherman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IARhehMY0k&ab_channel=Mark1333
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU_FCvNh37g&ab_channel=PaulMorgan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRM53y_8SkI&t=682s&ab_channel=Channel4News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYTvMWtmdnE&t=402s&ab_channel=SimonClark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW6zs-d_ab0&ab_channel=Channel4News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH4X_twtdQM&ab_channel=LinesiderVideo

That is all within the last 15 years.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 15:32 by al78 »

Grubbypaws

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 16:35 »
Todays forecast is for showers falling as sleet over the hills with hail at lower levels. Showers dying away this evening with a widespread sharp frost. Minimum temperature -3C!!!  :( >:( :mad:

Tomorrows weather; hail, thunder and hill snow  :wacko:

cc

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 00:25 »
Have lots of carrots on the go.
No problems as I started them of in gutters. When about inch and half high put them out and they have withstood frosts okay. Not even used early Nantes, used parisian market carrots. Brilliant will be doing it every year from now on.

xx
Mission Impossible : Evergreen Climber that Fruits ....

Started by DaveJNeal on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 20:38
by nobby
xx
weather

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 16, 2012, 12:10
by Amilo
xx
The Weather.....

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 22:49
by GrannieAnnie
xx
weather

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 30, 2006, 20:27
by Debz and Jon

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 52 queries.