Giant Garlic

• 2 Replies

chris mutter

Giant Garlic
« on: April 30, 2021, 18:05 »
I have 4 of these plants and are looking very healthy, over a foot tall and have a good girth on the stem. I only started the Allotment last year and have never grown these before, so I'm asking will the Bulbs push themselves to the surface or grow beneath soil level, when will I be able to pick and would it be possible to re plant a clove, for the following year. Thank You.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
Re: Giant Garlic
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 07:27 »
If Giant Garlic is the same thing as Elephant Garlic, the bulbs stay about four inches below ground and will mature about Mid July. They'll throw up a flower stem, some gardeners say cutting the flower off improves bulb size but after reading it makes no difference conducted my own experiments and now let the flowers grow for the bees and for dried flower arrangements.
When you harvest the bulbs there will be small bulblets attached near the base. These can be popped straight back into the ground, some will grow and after a few years make full sized plants.
Full sized cloves can be planted back in autumn for another crop too. I have a patch of plants (from a mixture of bulblets and leftover cloves) that are left as perennials. These are used as a cut and come again crop. The tender, finger thick stems are cut at ground level and the tops used like garlic scapes in risotto, stir-fries etc. The tops soon grow back after cutting and each plant will yield three or four harvests per season. TBH I prefer the tops to the taste of the bulbs and they're ready in the hungry gap.

Mr Dog

Re: Giant Garlic
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 10:30 »
You can also cut off the flower stalk and use it as garlic scapes - we chop and add to salads but you can also cook them, some info and more ideas here https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/growing/blog/garlic-scapes-what-they-are-and-how-to-cook-them

xx
GIANT VEG

Started by mollski on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 18:07
by mr Isaccs
xx
giant tea bag

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 16:25
by aelf
clip
giant parsnip

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 24, 2014, 17:48
by Yorkie
xx
Giant Rhubarb

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 19:32
by fallen angel

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 39 queries.