New to growing

• 3 Replies

Nick Bongiorno

New to growing
« on: May 02, 2021, 11:14 »
Hi all,

I知 new to growing veg, I have just planted sweetcorn into a large planter. Do I water them a lot or just dampen the soil?
Thanks
Nick

wolveryeti

Re: New to growing
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 12:37 »
Be led by what the plant is telling you and the moisture of the soil.

What works for me is to insert my finger into the soil to the depth of the first knuckle. If it doesn't feel moist, I water- otherwise I don't.

You don't want to over water- you risk rotting the roots of your plants and ending up with a rubbish crop

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 10:21 »
Another good way to tell if pots or seed trays need watering is to lift them (if possible) and see how light or heavy they feel.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 12:39 »
This is more of a recommendation for when the plants are much larger, getting ready to produce corn.  Corn has pollen-producing flowers at the top of the corn plant (tassels; male flower structure) and the silk that is at the end of each ear of corn (female flower structure).  Corn in a field is wind-pollinated; in a container, you will need to help out.  When the tassels become dusty, they are releasing pollen.  Have a plastic bag (gallon zip-seal type is good) and knock the pollen into the bag each day, store some place cool until you need the pollen.  When ears are producing silk, brush a little of the collected pollen onto the silk each day until the silks go brown and the ears are clearly getting larger.

This will increase your chance of getting some corn off your plants.  TBH, this is the first time I have heard of growing corn in a container, so I am excited to see how this works out for you!  Maybe it is more common in UK gardens?  Good luck!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Has anyone tried growing Oca?

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 26, 2015, 20:51
by RJR_38
xx
Growing on

Started by denbo73 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 10:36
by Pure Scotsman
xx
Pea growing

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 16:35
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
What have you still got growing

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 11:55
by purplebean

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 39 queries.