what can i do with red chilis?

• 12 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« on: October 03, 2008, 19:15 »
ok, grown some chilis this year and done quite well, but not using them fast enough!

Anyone got a quick and simple recipe for something like a sauce i can make them into?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Swing Swang

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 08:27 »
Massa de Pimentão/Piri-piri sauce

Peppers – Sweet or chilli
Course sea/rock salt (not table salt)
Garlic (optional)
Olive oil

When made with sweet peppers this is one of the staple ingredients of Portuguese cookery and is called massa de pimentão (pronounced 'pea-men-tow' - the last syllable is very nasal but sounds a bit like the English word 'own' but witout the 'n').
Anyway it works just as well with chillies, in which case it them becomes one of the many piri-piri sauces.
Deseed peppers/chillies and cut into course strips. You could leave the seeds in for the hot version (as in the commercial varieties), but I have no personal experience of this.
Layer the peppers/chillies with a good scattering of salt inbetween in a crockery/enamel/glass tray (not metal). Cover with a tea towel and leave in a cool room for a couple of days.
Drain and discard the liquid.
Roast in a moderate oven for anything up to 3 hours, turning occasionally, until most of the remaining liquid has evaporated. Allow to cool.
Remove any skins (not always very easy, and not essential).
Add chopped garlic to taste (I never bother).
Blend to a smooth paste in a liquidiser, adding olive oil until the desired consistency is achieved. I aim for a thick paste.
Store refrigerated in a sealed glass jar (plastic will stain, metal will corrode). Drizzle a layer of olive oil over the paste, ensuring that this does not become depleted as the paste is used. This last step keeps out the air, so that the paste keeps longer.
If you’re making lots it does freeze well.  

Enjoy,

Philip

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:07 »
wow, thanks Philip,

that sounds good, and pretty easy, i will have a go at that

cheers

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 10:10 »
Not so easy, but this one from Biscombe is still my favourite!!

Thai Sweet Chili Sauce

Thought I'd share this recipie with you, I'm going to try it tomorrow, got to do something with all those chillis!!

2 ounces fresh red chilies, roughly chopped (remove seeds if less heat is desired)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
4 ounces sultanas, chopped (white raisins)
1-2 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1/2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)

1 1/1. Place chilies in a food processor with half the vinegar and process until the chilies are finely chopped.
2. Do not be concerned if the chili seeds remain whole.
3. Combine the chili and vinegar mixture with the remaining vinegar, and all other ingredients, in a small stainless steel saucepan (take care adding the salt- you can always add more later if you wish).
4. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil briefly, then reduce temperature to allow the mixture to simmer gently until the chilies and sultanas are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
5. When cool, puree until almost smooth.
6. Pour into a suitably sized sterilised bottle and seal.

Mike.white

• Experienced Member
    • Mike White
blimey!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 08:50 »
This is a bit weird - I just popped in to the cooking section to see if I could find something to do with my red chilli's and there's your recipe at the top... instant chilli karma!! Thanks for the recipes!!
For the latest on the BIG project, read my blog.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 21:23 »
smashing!

Ive not all the ingredients in for that one Grannie, perhaps try that another time. I do however have everything for the piri-piri. I'll give it a go

wellingtons

Another idea ...
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 16:36 »
... is to dry any spares.

Once dried you can pop into oil for a chilli oil ... easy peasy!

But you can also grind up the dried chillies for your own chilli powder for use throughout the winter ... please note that your own chilli powder will get hotter as it matures for a few months unlike the stuff you buy.  It's also a gorgeous orange shade and very pungent.

Somewhere on here there is a recipe for tomato and chilli jam ... heaven in a jamjar!!

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 18:59 »
started a small batch of Philips Piri-piri today, its sat under its teatowel. I didnt have the bottle to leave the seeds in.

I'll post up the results when its done

Swing Swang

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 19:55 »
Zak - I look forward to reading how you got on - SS

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 20:12 »
Hey Mike, just had a read of your blog, that joke about Paddy and the tax man, i nearly did to my desk what he did to the auditors! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mike.white

• Experienced Member
    • Mike White
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 17:40 »
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit"
Hey Mike, just had a read of your blog, that joke about Paddy and the tax man, i nearly did to my desk what he did to the auditors! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Hehe - me too - I don't usually post jokes on there but it was too good to miss up!!

Mike.white

• Experienced Member
    • Mike White
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 17:41 »
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit"

Hehe - me too - I don't usually post jokes on there but it was too good to miss up!!

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 21:44 »
well, i got as far as the 'roast in moderate oven bit', they had 20mins and were incinderated :cry:

I think its because i had very few of them, was trying to make just a small test batch. Oh well, lives and learns dont ya? :D

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 38 queries.