Rats!

• 14 Replies

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Rats!
« on: November 14, 2010, 09:24 »
I have found a product which I have used successfully this year for getting rid of rats and mice quite quickly - it is a Bayer garden product from our local garden centre (about 11.99 a kilo). I just put some in  plastic sandwich bags, tie it and place around the garden in the rat run areas. I know many of us have problems and I thought it may be of use to others plagued by vermin.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Rats!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 09:27 »
but whats it called?  :unsure:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 15:49 »
Err - Bayer garden Advanced formula Rat and Mouse killer!

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 20:15 »
Will it harm the hens or is it friendly?
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 20:24 »
if you want one that is safe for other wildlife and pets you could use eradibait.

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 16:10 »
I don't put it anywhere near the hens so I don't have that problem. I tried eradibait but found they got wise to it very quickly, also I had to mix it with peanut butter to attract them There is something in the Bayer one that gets them to eat it, but I don't know what.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 17:14 »
I don't put it anywhere near the hens so I don't have that problem. I tried eradibait but found they got wise to it very quickly, also I had to mix it with peanut butter to attract them There is something in the Bayer one that gets them to eat it, but I don't know what.

A rat could carry a bag of poison into the area where the hens are and any mouse that eats the poison could be found and eaten by a hen .

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 21:53 »
Never leave difenacoum (this is the Bayer stuff) in loose bags; it must be in a proper bait box to stop other animals eating it as it is dangerous to all mammals. Puppies have eaten anticoagulants and died, even though it is expected to require a number of 'takes' by the mouse. Even with care as 8doubles said, a mouse could eat it and go away to die. This is why rodenticides are not used in high risk premises. The chooks could find the mouse and eat it. The chances of the chooks getting a fatal dose are low, but do exist. The truth is that there is no 100% safe rodenticide. Having said that, if you need to use a rodenticide then difenacoum is safer and more effective than most.

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 22:32 »
if you want one that is safe for other wildlife and pets you could use eradibait.

bought some eradibait Joyfull but it doesn't say anything about being safe around hens/pets etc, are there different types?

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 22:34 »
here is a link to their website where it explains all about it  :)

http://www.eradi-products.com/

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 22:55 »
We'd got a 5kg tub of Neosorexa Gold for the rats.  I put it in my homemade bait boxes, but after catching a couple of rats, they seemed to ignore the bait but still kept digging holes and trying to chew the henhouses.

So after reading on here about the peanut butter, we got the traps out again and caught 3 in the last 2 days!  And I bought Brian a Monarch live trap to see if that catches anymore of them.

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 17:16 »
Just to clarify - my hens are in a double run and do not free range. I put the bags under the shed and behind bamboo screening. It usually takes about three days until the bait isn't taken any more and then I remove it until I see evidence of vermin again. They have never been near the chooks, usually by the pond. I realise the risks but I do take extreme care not to jeopardise other pets and wildlife.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 13:42 »
I once put rat poison under the back of the hen hut, well guarded with a mesh panel, rats were also in the polytunnel so I put some in there. one morning a badger had pulled the mesh away and eaten the lot, then tore the back of polytunnel open and ate all that I had left in there (I had left quite alot in there as nothing should have been able to get to it). Either it killed it or they moved away.

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 16:52 »
Clever fellows Rats, you have to mix it up with them, i.e. eradibait, cage traps, fenn traps, snap traps, dog, big dog, club, big club, size 10 boot etc.... :wacko:

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 17:26 »
Clever fellows Rats, you have to mix it up with them, i.e. eradibait, cage traps, fenn traps, snap traps, dog, big dog, club, big club, size 10 boot etc.... :wacko:

You missed spring snares , http://www.thehuntinglife.com/html/sections/articles/ferreting_trapping/snaring-rats.html

best used in agricultural settings away from pets they do work well and kill quickly.

xx
Rats

Started by chuckmad on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 17:58
by 8doubles
xx
rats

Started by zombiechicken on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 14:44
by Lastcast
xx
rats

Started by delphinium on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 09:29
by delphinium

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 40 queries.