New Plot No Progress

• 13 Replies

SCassin

• Experienced Member
New Plot No Progress
« on: September 15, 2013, 23:16 »
I was so excited about getting my new plot, went up the first day and maked it out.  Dug a small area to see what soil like etc.

However, since then my dad has been diagnosed with Cancer and went into hospital today for an op tomorrow and the weather has been absolutely horrid. 

I was hoping to make real progress and get it ready for winter with a few onion sets and cardboard dressing but alas progress stopped.  Oh well Im sure the weeds aren't going anywhere nor are they in a rush to be removed and will happily wait for me until Im ready lol

gobs

Re: New Plot No Progress
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 23:22 »
Weeds do grow in winter, too, whenever it's mild, so do keep an eye on it, when you can. A winter dig will help you a lot for the spring and next season. ;)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 23:29 »
I was so excited about getting my new plot, went up the first day and maked it out.  Dug a small area to see what soil like etc.

However, since then my dad has been diagnosed with Cancer and went into hospital today for an op tomorrow and the weather has been absolutely horrid. 

I was hoping to make real progress and get it ready for winter with a few onion sets and cardboard dressing but alas progress stopped.  Oh well Im sure the weeds aren't going anywhere nor are they in a rush to be removed and will happily wait for me until Im ready lol
Don't worry about the lotty it will still be there ! Hope all goes well  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 23:36 »
The weather will always conspire against you to stop you getting to your plot.

Hope yous dad's op goes ok tomorrow.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

MalcW

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:31 »
Hope all goes well today.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:38 »
Sorry to hear your bad news and hope your Dad's operation goes well. Why is it I wonder that life has always got a spanner to throw in the works?

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:45 »
I appreciate weeds will grow and things are sent to challenge us but would be nice if everything didn't come at once and just some times we were given some slack lol - Im sure I will get stuff done in my own time and if I only get to use half a plot the first year then so be it - Dad and life is more important.  Much that I hate to say it I can buy veg elsewhere but I cant get another Daddy :-)  so weeds do your worse I will win in the end xxx

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:35 »
Sorry to read your Dad's not well. Cancer's a horrible thing and I hope that they get it all.

Like you said, you can always battle weeds. Lull them into a false sense of security... ;)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 10:12 »
Much that I hate to say it I can buy veg elsewhere but I cant get another Daddy :-)  so weeds do your worse I will win in the end  xxx
That's the spirit  :)

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 16:28 »
Dads outta theatre and back on his ward - we don't know much more at this stage going to see him this evening.  When hopefully we will get more details then but at least that the first hurdle  :D

Sparkyrog

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 16:34 »
Hope it all went well and they got it all ! Thought's going in your direction   :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 17:46 »
Thinking of you and your family this evening, SCassin.

If you need to neglect the plot this autumn, best to let those in charge know that you haven't abandoned it, so they can make any allowances for failure to progres at the rate they might otherwise expect.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 21:22 »
Sending good wishes to your Dad & you & family. Might be worth you investing in some weed suppressant membrane to cover as much of the plot as you can afford will buy you time until you can get on with the clearing of the plot. Then you can cover it over until planting begins.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

gobs

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 22:19 »
I appreciate weeds will grow and things are sent to challenge us but would be nice if everything didn't come at once and just some times we were given some slack lol - Im sure I will get stuff done in my own time and if I only get to use half a plot the first year then so be it - Dad and life is more important.  Much that I hate to say it I can buy veg elsewhere but I cant get another Daddy :-)  so weeds do your worse I will win in the end xxx

Winter dig will help your spirit too, exercise is an excellent anti-depressant. ;)

xx
Plot progress: before and after

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 18:56
by suziet88
xx
Progress on new plot

Started by DATA311 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 10:03
by Weston grower
xx
progress so far

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 10:03
by Celery
xx
Progress at Last!

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 21:32
by love-my-plot

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 29 queries.