Automatic Chicken Door

• 11 Replies

Chicken star

Automatic Chicken Door
« on: January 19, 2011, 18:23 »
As the late nights are drawing in i'm finding it quite difficult to see when my hens are actually going to bed and with other comitments i'm finding myself trekking up to field at all hours of the night to close the coop door.
I remember once reading or seeing an Automatic Door which is fitted on  to your coop which you can set times on so it will open at a certain time and close at a certain time. I was wondering if anyone has one of these and if they would recomend any brand or a place where they got them from.
I am looking for one which isn't too expensive and works well which is either run on batteries or solar powered as i do not have electricity where the chicken coop is.
Thanks for your help, Chicken Star.

Fisherman

Re: Automatic Chicken Door
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 22:04 »
Hello Chicken Star
Apart from those who make their own door opener most use a VSB. Try looking at them the Wells Poultry web site. They are battery operated and they have good reports.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 03:33 »
There's someone selling a kit they have designed for about 70 pounds on ebay.  Can't personally vouch for it though.  Other than this depending how far you can run a 12V cable you can use my design for a cheap alternative which has now stood the test of three winters on 4 houses with few problems.  see link

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=65865.msg756544#msg756544

If you use an opener / closer make a door 'flag' using an old cycle reflector so you can check the door staus with a powerful torch from a distance.
HF

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:36 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:53 »
I need a door opener for a sideways sliding door ( no room to change to vertical)  this is the only one i have been able to find

http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/gadgets-and-gizmos/pullit.htm

So it looks like i need to save my pennies!!
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:43 »
I need a door opener for a sideways sliding door ( no room to change to vertical)  this is the only one i have been able to find

http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/gadgets-and-gizmos/pullit.htm

So it looks like i need to save my pennies!!

Sorry, with  side opening door you are on a loser to be perfectly honest.  That's one reason I always recommend a vertical pophole there's always a good reason why the traditional dfesign has stood the test of time.  Not specifically to use auto openers but there are other good reasons too.
HF

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:03 »
You could use HF's design if you hinge the door at the top, put an extension (like a crane on warehouse walls) with a pulley at the end and then a short lever on the bottom of the door. Depending on space the original HF can be placed at the side if you have a clutch type aerial, but the door need to be on miniwheels to avoid jamming. You could put a weighted pulley to help close the door thus reducing pressure on the extending aerial. It's worth trying ideas with a few pulleys and string to see what works before investing £200 - you still need the power supply and gubbins even for the bought one. Our version uses the old aerial without a clutch, so side removed and pulley bolted onto drive. It has a fixed length of movement so it was just a matter of arranging suitable attachments and pulleys to give the right movement. HTH

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:19 »
HF that maybe so but our door is a sliding door and like i said there is not enough room to make it into a vertical slide so trying to find the best solution for what we've got.  live and learn

ehs284  we had thought about making it into a lift up door (so it looks a bit like a cat flap)  but i had two worries. 1. do chickens not push it open, then get stuck outside?  2.  What about if something got into the run - it doesnt seem as safe.  Do you have any pics or links to pics.

But would certainly like to spend less than 200 quid!!

podgymoth

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 13:09 »
Hi there,
We got our automatic opening door from Ascott Smallholding Supplies for just under £100 about 6 years ago. It is absolutely fantastic and the batteries last for absolutely ages. You can either have it operated by light sensor or with a timer which you can change to suit your requirements. The chickens are almost always in by the time the door shuts, except a couple of ex-bats who insist on playing Indiana Jones at the last minute. They hear the door closing then make a bolt for it. :lol: Best investment we ever made and well worth the money. We have installed another on their feeding station to prevent unwanted guests (rodents and pigeons) getting in when the chickens are not on patrol. Keeps the pests in order too. Good luck and best wishes, Podgymoth

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 13:25 »
Cammi, your cat flap door wouldn't need to be very light to lift up as half the weight is on the hinges, and you can use a pulley to alter the leverage - if you put a piece of wood on the back at the height just enough to clear the floor, then they can't push it open and get out. Would it be safe? Not as simply described, but then neither would a sliding door (with a drop down door the sides and bottom are enclosed). This could be overcome by careful fixing and/or extension of the lever on the door, any animal would have to lift the lever, get under it and to the door without it falling again and then lift the door itself. To add greater security, you can put sides on the door and sides to the door opening; the wood piece inside described above would stop entry unless the door was fully open.

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 23:55 »
You might find hanging it like a solid curtain so it's not running on a surface at the bottom gives the lowest friction.  Your drive linkage is going to have to be capable of pushing as well as pulling so would need to be a solid ram.  Alternatively a rack and pinion might work but you will need to be inventive with the mechanics.
HF

22fox

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 15:01 »
i would highly recommend it! there really good! Will need to train your hens for a week or so other than super duper =o
I<3exbatts

Chicken star

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 21:19 »
Thank you for all your help.
I will look at each of the ideas you have all given me and hopefully i will find the right one for me :)

xx
automatic chicken door system - any bright and cheap ideas?

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 17:15
by Chookster
xx
automatic door qu.

Started by iowrooster on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 09:30
by iowrooster
xx
Automatic door openers

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2013, 11:20
by ANHBUC
xx
Automatic Coop Door

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2013, 13:26
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 39 queries.