What size raised beds

• 17 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
What size raised beds
« on: May 26, 2010, 20:44 »
Is there a general size of raised beds ie:width and depth . . . . . . . Also what type of planks are generally used and where are they got from please.

Thank you
Ma x

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: What size raised beds
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 20:48 »
4' wide is about right and 10' -12' maximum length, depth is all about what the beds are on and how much you can get hold of to fill them up.  You can use pretty much anything to define your beds or nothing at all.  I use treated gravel boards.
Cheese makes everything better.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 20:56 »
8 foot by 3 foot . we love them here is a pic (not that you need one but I am still a very proud veg grower)  :lol: ::)

Missie

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 13:52 »
I have three 12' x 6' and two are 18" deep! Just great for the carrots,parsnips and other deep rooties!

Excuse the makeshift groundcover fencing! it is to keep my chooks out,I am growing a living hedge behind!
raisedbeds.JPG

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 16:25 »
Thanks for the fab pictures. At the minute we have low beds as we can't find any suitably cheap boards but we are looking to raise them later in the year.  :happy:

spiderlyn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 00:24 »
We have just made another two RB's (run out of space) and limited to were to build... I have a large garden and lots of room for veg.. only thing is, I can't bend down to manage lower growing areas.  So we have used smaller area, that are elevatied (sp) .. the growing area was just under 2 ft, wide but by building the beds has made it, just short of 3ft, wide.. (see pics) now just waiting for it to settle, so we can plant ;)

We have used decking to build the beds.. (and wicked had a 33% sale last weekend) so made it extra cheap ;) and it is really solid
Try.. and ... try again... & keep trying..

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 04:07 »

A lot of folk get hold of used scaffold planks, others try freecycle, some are lucky and ask at building sites for unwanted lumber.

Mine are 4x8 ft, and average 18" deep, made of 2x6"s. My ground level pieces are all treated lumber, the rest are untreated which I prime and paint with oil paint (bought cheap at a charity shop) to extend their life and look harmonious with the gardens (I'm on a corner lot and always 'on display'). I stack mine one atop another with corner pegs inside to 'lock' them together.
This past weekend a local construction company was taking a load of offcuts to the tip so I snagged enough 2x6" pieces for a 42"x48" bed that's 24" high (carrots). To fill this one, I'm using a now composted pile of turf which I stacked upside down and covered with a tarp. It isn't prime soil but good enough to blend with the rotted manure, shredded leaves and compost I'll add.

funstuie

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 08:49 »
I got a load of scaffold boards but all I could fit in the car were 6ft and 4ft ones. I was worried that they would be too small to bother but I think little 4ft by 6ft beds would be OK. I could compartment the plot.

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 13:32 »
Pressure treated gravel boards seem to be the cheapest option from the big diy stores. But it looks like still costing 20squids for each bed. Scaffold boards are so chunky that they weigh a tonne. But I suppose they'd last a lifetime.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 13:44 »
I used the off cuts from when my flooring was redone - they were even cut to same length for me by the joiner so I didn't need to do anything  ;) They are only 3.5x3.5 as only had a small area that I could use for them  :)
WPM$18AE.jpg

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 13:57 »
A pack of five gravel boards in Wickes is about £20 plus one extra board, £22 - £23.  this makes two 2.4m x 1.2m beds.  You can add more height as the beds fill up with soil/compost.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 14:41 »
I recently bought fifteen 13' x 9" and ten 4'x9" scaffold boards £3 and £1 respectively... now just need some posts and i'm all set...  :D

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 21:08 »
I used the off cuts from when my flooring was redone - they were even cut to same length for me by the joiner so I didn't need to do anything  ;) They are only 3.5x3.5 as only had a small area that I could use for them  :)

That's a lovely chook you're growing in that bed Cara!!

I must get some of them seeds  ;)  :lol: :lol:
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 22:25 »
Mine are 4 lots of 3 ft x 12 ft and one of 4ft x 28 ft, I wouldn't go much above a width of 4ft for easy weeding as you shouldn't sit on or walk on your raised beds. I've head that length should be less than 30ft as otherwise you'd be tempted to walk across rather than go round - and I can see why with my bed being almost that length.

And remember to leave enough space between them to get your wheelbarrow up and down

My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 22:45 »
28ft, strewth. :ohmy:  4ft width is fairly standard but I wouldn't have my beds that long.   :)

xx
Best size of timber for 'raised beds'

Started by wbmkk on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post October 13, 2013, 15:04
by arugula
xx
Raised Beds

Started by GardenShed on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 14:23
by Goosegirl
xx
raised beds

Started by wrus100 on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 18:12
by Trillium
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Nic on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 14:04
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.