Keeping a record....any suggestions

• 10 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« on: May 02, 2008, 13:31 »
Hi everyone

This could be a bit of a non-starter but I was just about to tackle a spreadsheet on Excel with details of seeds sewn, dates, and basic info on the plant to print off and keep in the Utility room as a handy guide/reference which I can add to as year progresses.

(I've not got an allotment - just large garden veg/fruit area).

Has this been done on here in the past and if so are there any templates available....not being lazy honest it's just I'm so far behind with my sewing/prep work any time I can save with this will be a great help.

Up till now I've just scribbled notes on back of seed packets which invariably have got lost so the following year I struggle to remember what did well and what was not so good.

Appreciate any help but if not will tackle the spreadsheet this evening...if I can stay awake long enough  :roll:
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

GreenOwl

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 13:34 »
Have you looked at the Member's Diaries above?

I've been using that.  What it doesn't give me is a plan of my veg plot to record what I grew where but it is giving me the dates I sowed things and when they germinated.

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 14:04 »
For records just set columns up to fit your requiremets or you could equally use a database.

For planning if you set a worksheet up with all the cells as big squares these could represent a sq ft or a sq metre. Use the draw feature to create oblongs or circles to represent crops (actual or planned) and drag them around to suit. By the time these are made all pretty colours you end up with a work of art.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 14:30 »
take photos as well. I take lots of photos as my memory is rubbish and I forget to make notes in my notebook.  I do keep notes though but it's just when I remember  :oops:   I take pics through the growing season to remind what I planted and where. I also use wooden stakes with "Desiree" or onion sets and the date then take a pic. The camera can't lie  :D

Dominic

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 14:41 »
Unless you had a really big plot, were growing lots and were spending millions, I just cant see the value.

A pen and an A4 pad will be much better for your needs.

Now, if you were to want graphs showing production trends over decades, a SS would be the way to go.

But using a 6 year rotation, you wouldnt get any useful information for 18 years, or even 30, if you were a proper farmer your kids might like that information when your gone.

Well, thats not striclty true, it would take 30 years to spot a specific patch of soil that wont grow parsnips, but you could see if you cant grow parsnips after 5.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 15:24 »
:lol:

Goodness me, lots of replies so soon....thank you very much.

I think taking a few photo's is a good idea. We do download all our photo's to PC now so that would help a fair bit.  

Also I do like to take notes but my main problem being that to date they have not been very organised and when done manually I frequently lose them.

Whereas the admin geeky side of my nauture means I do spend a lot of time on PC anyway so keeping a record on here which I could print off and pin up in kitchen or utility room and update would appeal to me. I could then use that to update on PC so I have a permanent record from year to year.

I wasn't thinking of anything too complicated or fancy just the basics so I could keep a track of things. My son who lives in the next road to me is also a keen gardener and veggie grower and we often swap seeds/plants etc but occasionally this means I don't always have the exact details to hand of the plants he has passed on to me and vice versa.

Last year due to lack of communication we doubled up on some crops. I thought I would give him a copy of my plant records so he could add his stuff to it to avoid same problem in future.

Thanks for your very helpful comments, I think a simple basic spreadsheet might be the answer after all  :D

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 16:04 »
Last year I bought a "Week to View" Diary in Feb.  (It was an A5 hardback and cost 10p!!!! :lol:)

I have numbered each double page spread with the week numbers 1 - 52.
Then all the Mondays became my 2007 entries for that week.
This year Tuesdays are my 2008 entries.

You get the picture.  It will last 6 years I reckon as the Sat/Sun slots are half size.

Easy comparison to last year etc.

However if you can get an A4 diary it may be better - especially at this time of year when A5 is a tad space limiting!
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

Bombers

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 16:51 »
Quote from: "Salkeela"
Last year I bought a "Week to View" Diary in Feb.  (It was an A5 hardback and cost 10p!!!! :lol:)

I have numbered each double page spread with the week numbers 1 - 52.
Then all the Mondays became my 2007 entries for that week.
This year Tuesdays are my 2008 entries.

You get the picture.  It will last 6 years I reckon as the Sat/Sun slots are half size.

Easy comparison to last year etc.

However if you can get an A4 diary it may be better - especially at this time of year when A5 is a tad space limiting!

O.K. So I've got a reputation for being a bit of a boring organiser.! :roll: - I confess to printing out  from Outlook - month per page A4 and putting in a lever arch file in the shed. Then whenever you sow/pot/plant anything., just jot it in.. but do it in pencil, cause I've changed my mind soooo many times with the damn weather. I've also printed out some simple boxes on a SS that look something like the Beds, and I 'try' (emphasise that one!!)
to plan what goes where and record onto that. Having said all of that, I've still not got a clue what I'm doing :wink:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 17:21 »
Quote from: "srebmob"

O.K. So I've got a reputation for being a bit of a boring organiser.! :roll: - I confess to printing out  from Outlook - month per page A4 and putting in a lever arch file in the shed. Then whenever you sow/pot/plant anything., just jot it in.. but do it in pencil, cause I've changed my mind soooo many times with the damn weather. I've also printed out some simple boxes on a SS that look something like the Beds, and I 'try' (emphasise that one!!)
to plan what goes where and record onto that. Having said all of that, I've still not got a clue what I'm doing :wink:

Ha ha...we not related by any chance are we?????

:idea:   That sounds like JUST my kind of plan - and probably with same results as you. However I cant get the calendar on my version of Outlook. Will have to investigate my Google account or maybe the old Microsoft Outlook which is still on my PC but I don't use any more......off to have a play now  :lol:

Thank you thank you thank you

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 18:52 »
When I got my plot a friend got me the Royal horticultural society five year gardener's record book. It has a double page for each week (labeled January week 1, week 2 etc) with rows to record weather, tasks done, plants in bloom etc and five columns, one for each year. Its a good idea as you can compare year to year and maybe use last year as a reminder of what to do this year...... unfortunately I'm not a diary sort of person and stopped doing it after about four months! :lol:

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 22:04 »
i just keep a hardback notebook at the lottie shed and just record whats what, a tip from my lottie neighbour Len (age 74) and his book goes back to the year dot!!  He often brings it out and stabs a finger in it telling me what went well over the last few years...... so now i do the same!!  No sense in getting too techie about it, keep it simple as it wont get done....
Death OR Cake ???

xx
Plot planning / Record keeping?

Started by plot36 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 15:25
by noshed
xx
A record?

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 18:54
by PennyS
xx
Is this a record?

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 20:12
by strangerachael
xx
Suggestions as to what to set

Started by Pep on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:41
by Greengirl

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 38 queries.