willow and leylandii

• 20 Replies

willowman

• Experienced Member
Re: willow and leylandii
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 07:10 »
Thanks everyone. Looks like I've got yet another job to do this autumn, or at least the gardener/handyman has. Can just about manage the leylandii ourselves but professionals will be dragged in to do the pollarding - no way am I going 20ft up a tree with a chainsaw. I have learned over the years to know my limits as far as DIY goes.

Somebody once told me that osiers will cut the willow for free as they want the branches, has anyone else heard about this?

Thanks for all your answers.
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 07:13 »
Sorry , used the wrong word there. Thought osier was the person who made the baskets/fences from the willow, but just looked it up and it means the actual willow twig.

tode

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 07:16 »
How big/fat are the branches coming from the "head" of your willow ?

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 08:42 »
Thanks everyone. Looks like I've got yet another job to do this autumn, or at least the gardener/handyman has. Can just about manage the leylandii ourselves but professionals will be dragged in to do the pollarding - no way am I going 20ft up a tree with a chainsaw. I have learned over the years to know my limits as far as DIY goes.

Somebody once told me that osiers will cut the willow for free as they want the branches, has anyone else heard about this?

Thanks for all your answers.

Someone may cut it for free if they really want the branches but I'd guess anyone wanting to use the willow "professionally" ie cricket bat makers have strict criteriia for the quality of timber. If there is someone local who is a coppicer/charcoaler etc they may be interested but its the "20ft up a tree with a chainsaw" bit that would put me off.... 

Bit of background: Coppicing, tradittionaly happens in woodlands and the tree is cut back to ground level. Pollarding, traditionaly in more open farmlands ie the Fens, is where the tree is cut back to a height above the browsing level of livestock. Both methods encourage straight re-growth and enables the tree to live for a considerably long time. The re-grown wood (willow in this case) is used for poles, wattle fencing, basket weaving, charcoal, firewood etc .

Once you've had the big job done (inc perhaps have the main stem reduced to 10ft high, but will cost you more in the 1st instance) you could then cut the pollard yourself  by hand tools . After 2 years you've got more plant supports than you can shake an ossier at (groan  :)  ). If cut at yr 4-5 then you've got loads of firewood that just needs cross cutting and not splitting. You'd certainly then have more chance of someone cutting the re-growth for free.

amc

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:14 by amc »

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 07:35 »
tode - I was tempted to reply that the branches are about 6ins diameter at the tree end, tapering to nothing at the leaf end, but that would be silly. The tree was pollarded 4 years ago and the growth from where it was cut is now about 6ins as I said. It is a "big" tree, the trunk at the base is a good 2ft 6ins diameter.
Plenty of firewood once it's done.

tode

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 08:42 »
Not silly at all. Yes, its time to trim it. The first few years they dont seem to make big branches, but we left ours far too long, and now we've got 40 foot branches: a real headache  >:(  -- got a feeling itll cost an arm and a leg to cut them now.
And 4 -6 inch wood is just right for the fire  ;)
The only trouble with willow is that it rots quite quickly outside (3-4 years, so cover top of pile.)
Usually the head is at 2.50 - 3 m, to make them accessible.
If you find someone to do it for free, you're luckier than me  ;)
BTW think you're right not to DIY -- willow is tricksy to cut. Tends to whip like a spring when 3/4 cut.
Good luck with your Leylandii.

xx
Leylandii trimmings

Started by willowman on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 08:19
by tode
xx
Leylandii too close?

Started by casper on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 21:03
by casper
xx
Planting leylandii - how deep?

Started by willowman on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 20:39
by Kristen
xx
Chopping down Leylandii and chipping for mulch

Started by davepitch on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 13:49
by Bodger

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 38 queries.