Newbie!

• 6 Replies

Carrieanne

Newbie!
« on: October 11, 2017, 12:53 »
Hello, my name is Karen. My partner and I will be taking over our very first allotment in 2 weeks time. We are very keen but would appreciate any advice on where to start! It has been completely rotavated and we're not sure what needs doing, especially with it being so late in the year. We have big plans on what we would like to grow but would appreciate your advice. Thank you 😊

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 17:57 »
Hi Karen and welcome to the site / congrats on your new lotty  :D

It would help if you popped your general location into your forum profile - it will help us know what sort of climate you have.

Do you know whether the ground was weedy before being rotavated?  If so, you'll need to bear in mind that the weeds will regrow and need properly weeding before it's worth growing anything mid-long term in the ground.

I wouldn't put anything permanent in at the moment, as it'll take you a season or so to get to know your plot - where the shade falls at different times of the year, whether any bits are particularly waterlogged or free-draining, anything else that might come up.

It's a good time of year to think about what you might want to grow next year.  You can get overwintering garlic and onions now, but otherwise there's not that much to go into the ground.

Have a look at the main website to see a whole series of articles, including monthly advice guides and specific information for loads of veg / fruit / herbs.
http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles-advice/

Oh, and start planning your Christmas lists ... nice pair of thinsulate lined gloves, anyone??  ;) :wub: :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 17:59 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 18:16 »
Hello and welcome to  allotmenting...and this site.

Carrieanne

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 18:27 »
Thanks Yorkie, we are in Lincolnshire but I will get it put in my profile too. The plot has been rotavated but the previous owner still has the plot next to us as he has downsized. We also live in a house which overlooks the allotments so I know he looked after it well and it wasn't overgrown with weeds! I'm hoping to get to know him a bit better and hopefully he'll pass on some useful tips to us 😊
Thank you for your advice, I've been slowly reading through the webpages today and I think we will order ourselves the books. And yes, there will definitely be some gloves (amongst other gardening items) on my Christmas list! I'm very excited to get going so will look at the garlic and onions, thanks again.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 19:41 »
Hi and welcome  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 20:05 »
Hi & welcome to the site, lovely to be that close to your plot, can you put a gate in to allow quick access?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Carrieanne

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 20:26 »
That's the plan  :D hoping to get some chickens in spring too, so excited about it all :)
Thank you everyone for a warm welcome x

xx

Started by Windswept Jiggle on Welcome to the Forums

6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2015, 06:52
by cadalot
xx
Newbie!

Started by Knoll on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post July 28, 2016, 19:25
by Yorkie
xx
Hi , I am a newbie

Started by Kev dale the retford gard on Welcome to the Forums

6 Replies
Last post January 12, 2016, 17:39
by adal
xx

Started by Vixx on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2019, 08:53
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 37 queries.